How to connect/route oil pressure line for 67 RS console gauges

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 12:02 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default How to connect/route oil pressure line for 67 RS console gauges

I've got a 67 RS with original console, but no gauges. I'm putting a custom-built motor in it, and needed a full set of gauges. I opted for the reproduction console gauges from Ground Up. They look really nice, but include a mechanical oil pressure gauge.

I got the oil pressure gauge line kit here:

http://www.ss396.com/mm5/merchant.mv...t_Code=NPZ-134

that includes a rigid steel tube and flexible vinyl oil line. There are *ZERO* instructions on how to install this line, and where to route it through the firewall. My guess is that the steel tube with press-fitting attaches to the gauge fitting itself. This tube is pretty long and extends downward/forward (toward motor) away from the gauge, such that it probably is long enough to extend directly through/into the trans tunnel. The nylon line could be attached there and run out the tunnel and up the back of the motor.

Am I supposed to bend the rigid tube to have it run straight out the front of the console, and out through the vertical part of the firewall? Not sure there.

I've never run one of these lines and the thought of having it spewing hot oil all over a brand new restored interior isn't very pleasant. Has anyone ever installed a kit like this? Did it come with a steel tube?

Old 07-30-2010, 04:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well, no advice here or from SS396.com where I got the line in the first place. I found a diagram in the factory assembly manual that looks like only the flex tube and block fitting are used. I'm gonna ignore the solid tubing and run just the nylon line through the firewall and into the gauge.

I'll probably put some larger diameter plastic tubing around the nylon line as added insurance against leaks. :-)

Old 12-30-2019, 10:10 AM

I know this is an old thread, but I see nylon oil pressure gauge line used too often and feel it's important to say something here. The original oil pressure gauge line was metal, not nylon. The nylon line, generally included with aftermarket gauges, is not safe for use. It melts against hot exhaust. Or it simply breaks and causes a leak that you may not notice on a road trip until you've lost alot of oil. I've posted a question here concerning the material originally used for the metal pressure line, whether it was steel or copper. If you use copper line, I recommend turning a series of coils into the line where it attaches to the engine. Copper becomes brittle if it is flexed too often in one spot. The coils provide a more flexible section to prevent breakage. Steel is more sturdy and will last longer without the coils. In any case, never install your mech OP gauge with nylon line.

Old 01-03-2020, 04:41 PM
4th Gear Member

As ASC Doc suggests, use copper line, and I suggest using HVAC 1/8 inch OD line as it has a larger ID and gives better 'needle' action at the gauge - read faster response.