1969 Chevrolet Camaro RS/SS on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 10:54 PM
Default 1969 Chevrolet Camaro RS/SS on Ebay

I just went and checked out a 1969 Camaro RS/SS that I seen on eBay. This car is mint beyond mint. I need to sell my harley asap to get this. If anyone is looking for a 2010 Harley Bike Let me know! How high do you guys think I should bid on this car? Chevrolet : Camaro RS/SS in Chevrolet | eBay Motors

Old 07-16-2012, 11:30 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

looks like a very clean 69 and looks awsome. i wish they had a pic of the trim tag so you could verify the paint and interior are what they should be because it looks like the car has been restored recently. everything looks way too clean to me and it should not have the black tail panel in it since it is not a big block car. i do love the colors on it. i would want to check into seeing if it is a true #s matching car because that can add or take away value from it.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:42 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Well, how much can you afford to spend?
34k original miles, matching numbers, A/C, original bill of sale, protecto plate, and condition is "mint beyond mint". That car has what any serious Camaro collector would want. I wouldn't be surprised if the seller has a reserve that's pushing the $40k mark. Because of what the car is, that's about where I would list it, to see how serious the buyers are. I would ask how he can document the "original miles" though, because that's what makes or breaks the higher value..

Last edited by Camaro 69; 07-16-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:47 AM

I did check to make sure all numbers matched. Everything I see about this car is legit. I Brought a few "experts" on 1969 camaros alOng aka locals in our camaro club. they were even amazed to see all the documentation they had for it. I thought maybe I could steal it on eBay for under 40k but from the way the seller talks it will probably push that just with the reserve. Im really disappointed wish I could afford it now. I think that if everything's legit its worth over 50k. Agree or disagree? Looking for advice before I make any Major moves. Thanks!

Old 07-18-2012, 03:59 AM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

oh man, that yellow houndstooth deluxe interior is sweet! Man I love that Camaro. From everything we now know about it, I'd also say $50K+ but in this economy I have seen several really nice, well documented Camaros go for alot less than they should have lately. I hope you can get your money together and get Lucky with this one. You would be my Hero.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:22 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by CamaroLover21
I did check to make sure all numbers matched. Everything I see about this car is legit. I Brought a few "experts" on 1969 camaros alOng aka locals in our camaro club. they were even amazed to see all the documentation they had for it. I thought maybe I could steal it on eBay for under 40k but from the way the seller talks it will probably push that just with the reserve. Im really disappointed wish I could afford it now. I think that if everything's legit its worth over 50k. Agree or disagree? Looking for advice before I make any Major moves. Thanks!
Did they ask the owner why the tail panel and rocker panels were painted black? As already mentioned that was only available on BB cars. Probably restorer preference, but if they are presenting the car as "all original" that should come up. RS/SS 350 should have cowl tag stamp of X 11 that one is X 55 which is SS 350 without Z 21 style trim (RS). 76-76 paint code is Daytona yellow but should not have a black top. Would be same color as the car.

Last edited by dynarider33; 07-18-2012 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The X55 code is SS350 without style trim group, but with rear fender louvers and black body sill (rocker panels).
"Style trim group" which was included in the RS package, consisted of: fender striping, rear fender louvers, wheel opening mouldings, black body sill, rear emblems, bright head and tail light trim.
Note that style trim group does not mean RS package. However, the RS package did automatically include the style trim group, plus style trim could be added to other models as well.
Also, there is no cowl tag X code that designates SS/RS or SS with style trim.
Based on all that, the car looks right to me, except for the added black rear panel, and the vinyl top. Could just be the owner liked that look. Will be interesting to see how high the price goes.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:05 PM
2nd Gear member

Camaro VIN, Cowl Tag, and other Numbers Decoding
X 44, X 55, X 66, X 77 are codes without Z 21 style trim OR Z 22 Rallye trim.
X 11, X 22, X 33 are codes that include Z 21 style OR Z 22 rallye trim. This car being
X 55 was not built with Z 22 rallye sport trim.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:15 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Ok, I see what you're saying now. I usually prefer looking at the chevy-camaro site, I find it more user friendly. However, they didn't show the "if an X55 it can't be an RS" info like the CRG site did.
So whattaya know, that original SS/RS isn't so "original" after all, is it? Now I wouldn't be surprised if the "34k original miles" isn't original either.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

Still a Very Nice Camaro but disappointing, though not the first time we've seen this happen with a Classic much less a 69 Camaro. There are shops that specialize in building these cars as close as they can get them to original for the sole purpose of misrepresenting them in a sale. who knows, maybe the seller doesnt know. maybe when he bought it he got taken.

Quick Reply: 1969 Chevrolet Camaro RS/SS on Ebay