Hi y'all....Angel from Virginia with 2 "under tarp" finds and need help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Default Hi y'all....Angel from Virginia with 2 "under tarp" finds and need help please

We have, under tarps on our property, both a 1967 Camaro convertible AND a 1967 Camaro that has RS on grill and SS on wheels.
I want to be a bit educated about the value of these when I talk to hubby about the choices we have to make quickly and I'm asking y'all for some help.
They've been sitting there, unmoved since 1989, purchased by father in law from a nephew.
These are fixer-uppers....but all the "stuff" is there and original, the questions: is there value there and if so how much and how in the world does someone sell a car that doesn't run?
I tried looking up information from old registrations that are in gloveboxes but VINs are too short for today's systems.

Thanks!

Old 12-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Moved this thread to the 1st Gen section.
First of all, we would need some pictures of the outside, inside, and underside of the car to give any kind of a value opinion. Where were the cars parked, on pavement or open ground/yard? Parking a car off in the grass and covering it up is one of the worse ways to store it, since ground moisture comes up and rusts the car away from the bottom up. If this is how the cars have been sitting for the past 25 years, then mother nature likely reduced them down to rusted out parts cars. Then there's the question of how many hungry mice got to the interiors and wiring. Again, a close look with pictures is needed.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:32 AM

Raining here today but will try to remove tarps and get some pics. What I saw yesterday was rust on the front part near ground (not on pavement) and the convertible's top is raggy looking. The one that's not convertible isn't in as bad shape.

Thanks and "see" ya soon

Old 12-06-2013, 08:11 AM
4th Gear Member

Welcome, Angel. Yes, I see this AM, northern & western VA getting pounded with rain.
As Senior Mod suggests, Mother Earth is not playful, or the rodents either.
Originality of the Camaro's is the key to a better price. This means taking picture of the engine code - located pass side front of engine in front of cylinder head, trans, and rear axle - depends how dirty you want to get, ensuring to others the parts are original to the Camaro.

You might visit www.camaros.org and compare trim tag of both Camaro's for the list of 'born with' items.

Convertible tops are replacement items, "any" convertible owner accepts this risk when buying a 'Vert, no matter the brand or age - part of 'Vert ownership.

Would love to see pictures.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:09 PM

Hi Angel, yes it is best to show a few pics, and the info on the firewall plate might help.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:44 PM
Default Rolling Candy

Hi Angel, I wish I was the paperboy or lived next door. Probably every guy who posts on the site would like to be the first to make you an offer. Don't let anybody make you scrape the grease off the engine block to give them casting numbers or crawl under the back end to read the stampings on the axle shaft. If they're what you say they are then general photos and the photos of the bad areas are sufficient to move your cars on to a dedicated enthusiast. The Forum seems to me to be filled with great guys, like me. Good luck!

Old 12-08-2013, 06:02 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

having the info on the trim tags, and at least the engine are very helpful in determining the value of the car and being able to advertise it correctly. plus there is always the excitement of finding out a little on the cars history. 67 trim tags are very helpful in telling on some of the factory options. plus know the motor that's in the car is a good thing to know. it may not be the #'s matching motor but it would be nice to know what size motor it is.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by duggeroo
Don't let anybody make you scrape the grease off the engine block to give them casting numbers or crawl under the back end to read the stampings on the axle shaft.
Why do you say that? Matching numbers, originality, and knowing what you have has everything to do with helping determine a car's value.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like duggeroo wants to try and get the cars for cheap. I agree with everyone else, knowing what you have and if its original will go a long way in determining the value of the car. Pics are a must in determining the value, open all the doors trunk hood and go crazy with the camera, to many pictures is better than not enough. Also where abouts are you at, one of us could be just down the street and not even know it and could help or even buy the cars if they went for sale, you never know....Sounds to me like a perfect set of his & hers Camaros.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:35 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Must still be raining. No pictures yet!