Hi, New Member - 67 Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 01:54 PM
Default Hi, New Member - 67 Project

Hi, my name is Jake, I'm from Seattle and my dad and I have a 67. We've had it for about 10 years. It's originally a straight 6, 3 on the tree car but when we got it it had a beat up 350 and b&m floor shifter. In the last 10 years my dad's had a mechanic install a brand new edelbrock 350 crate engine and 4 speed auto trans. I begged dad to get a manual but he said no. I also begged him to get a new floor shifter/console, but that never happened either. We also had the car repainted in its original color nantucket blue, with white stripes.The interior is all original with exception of rear dash and carpet which my dad replaced with black to be more pragmatic since the old blue carpet was looking very bad. Here's the car with one of my bikes in the background.

My dad never drives the camaro so I'm the only one who drives it, usually when I visit home for holidays and stuff. There is a short list of items that I've been wanting to take care of for a while and this year I'd like to get some of them done while I'm home for the holidays this year.

here is the list of items I'd like to get to this winter, while I'm home for a week or so.

1. The driver side door makes a pretty bad noise when you open it. I was thinking that it might be caused by this worn cam in the opening mechanism. Is that right?

2. install a new window crank **** on driver's side door

3. Left tail light doesn't work, it's not the bulb so maybe the socket? I haven't tested with a volt meter yet.

4. Front seat belts the plastic housing is broken off, would like to get new housings. Last I checked you can only get them in black and have to paint them if you want them to match interior

5. rear seat belts are black, would like to get correct color which I've seen you can get online

6. rear window trim is broken, dad has a new one in black that i could also paint to match interior

7. Stereo has a cassette stuck in it so you can't listen to music.. lol.

That's all I can think of right now. Thanks for looking

Old 11-18-2019, 04:49 PM
4th Gear Member

Welcome from a bit to your south in Clark County,nice ride you have there looks really solid for a 52 year old car.
Some WD 40 on the hinge and a bit of grease on that cam should quiet down the door.
Have you checked https://www.camarocentral.com/?Click...caAr70EALw_wcB
or https://www.rickscamaros.com/gen1-pa...B&gclsrc=aw.ds for interior parts?
That old Honda,is it a 750 FOUR or maybe a 500 or 550 FOUR? I had a 500 FOUR ,1973 model in brown and black like yours.
Been riding Harleys for 35 years so it was a long time back. lol

Old 11-18-2019, 05:35 PM

Thanks! I'm not sure if lubing the cam will work, the sound of the door is really harsh metal on metal sound. Best I can describe it is to imagine taking a big knife and stabbing one of those steel soup cans.

As for the links thank you, I'll definitely use them. I see I can get the seat belt covers for $21 each. Any tips for painting interior parts? What do you guys use? Duplicolor?

The Honda is a 1974 CB550, The paint is like a purplish brown metalic. Great bike! I actually have 4 hondas and my dad has 2. He has a Cl360 in orange that I fixed up for him.

Old 11-18-2019, 05:43 PM

Another thing I forgot to mention, it has an aftermarket steering wheel. I would like to replace with an oem style. Would a car with blue interior also have a blue wheel? Or would it just be black? The only blue wheels I see online are 1969 "comfort" model. The only reason I know the seat belt buckles should be blue is because the car used to have them when we got it, but they broke off.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:38 AM
1st Gear Member

For upholstery paint look into SEM brand

I would put some grease on that door cam.

Old 11-19-2019, 07:10 PM
4th Gear Member

Nice Camaro. Standard steering wheel color would match interior color, blue wheel for a blue interior.
Quick fix is remove door spring, then replace hinge later.

Old 11-20-2019, 11:20 AM

Regarding steering wheel, this is correct? This is from Ebay for $200, $70 less than camaro central.

I was able to find cans of interior paint in oem "light blue" for about $21 from some website.

Also trying to talk my dad into one of the $180 stereo replacements from camaro central which has an aux cord hookup but looks like the stock GM radio.

Old 11-20-2019, 06:52 PM
4th Gear Member

This wheel would work, but, the spokes are incorrect, as the spokes would be for a N34 wheel, as it would have a wood rim.
My RS has a standard wheel but has a RS button.

Old 11-21-2019, 10:45 AM

Is this the correct one? And it would need to be painted?

Also is there a website where you guys can look at a fiche for the car?

Old 11-21-2019, 04:52 PM
4th Gear Member

Yes, correct wheel style.

Quick Reply: Hi, New Member - 67 Project