HELP: Shorted horn relay now no power

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 09:02 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

From the factory, all the power on the drivers side comes from the wire that passes across the radiator core support and connects to the junction block, with a second wire that goes to the + side of the battery. That second wire had to have been connected to the battery for you to have power before. Make sure you're tracing the same wire before connecting it back up to the battery. How is that black wire "disconnected" anyway? Is it unbolted, snapped off, or possibly part of another fusible link that toasted and separated apart? If it's just an open wire, have you tried to find the other end? And you're sure there are no other wires on the junction block? The main supply wire from the battery should be red, unless someone did some rewiring.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 08-14-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:14 AM
Default Re: HELP: Shorted horn relay now no power

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
From the factory, all the power on the drivers side comes from the wire that passes across the radiator core support and connects to the junction block, with a second wire that goes to the + side of the battery. That second wire had to have been connected to the battery for you to have power before. Make sure you're tracing the same wire before connecting it back up to the battery. How is that black wire "disconnected" anyway? Is it unbolted, snapped off, or possibly part of another fusible link that toasted and separated apart? If it's just an open wire, have you tried to find the other end?
I was thinking the same thing that it had to be connected to get power earlier. Perhaps when I was changing the radiator I accidentally knocked it loose. The end of the wire is stripped and the wires extend about an inch like it was perhaps clamped onto the pos. cable and pulled loose although the clamp still looks tight. I looked all around and can't find where else it would have been connected. I tried to attach a picture but couldn't. I may see if I can find someone that has an older Chevy to compare to. My friend in the neighborhood has a 71 Nova that should be similar.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:21 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Ok, simple deduction...
The factory wires on the junction block are supposed to be red, now the one is black. Someone either changed a bad wire the right way, or "jury rigged" it to the battery. That second wire on the junction connects directly to the battery, with no fusible link. I only mentioned a possible fusible link on that line, knowing that someone changed the wire, but what else? Just connect that wire from the junction to the battery, and you're done. There's NO question as to where that wire goes to.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Ok, simple deduction...
The factory wires on the junction block are supposed to be red, now the one is black. Someone either changed a bad wire the right way, or "jury rigged" it to the battery. That second wire on the junction connects directly to the battery, with no fusible link. I only mentioned a possible fusible link on that line, knowing that someone changed the wire, but what else? Just connect that wire from the junction to the battery, and you're done. There's NO question as to where that wire goes to.
Camaro 69: You da man. I am very grateful for all of your assistance. It turned out to be that stray wire. I hooked it up and now have power. Upon further inspection one side of the lead positive cable clamp looks like it was somewhat melted, perhaps from the short. Not sure what happened electrically but the fusible links are intact. Again thanks for the help and I hope to return the favor to others in need.