Help with Purcahse

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 09:45 AM
Default Help with Purcahse

I have been shopping for a 1968 Camaro and i wanted to ask some questions.
Some cars are in good shape and are numbers matching and others are restored and are not matching numbers. The prices are all over the place. I know i want factory medal on the car, but what i am really interested in does matching numbers really bring in more money or when a car is original metal than with a built engine (not matching) is it a better long term investment? I know much of this is based on opinions, but I was hoping someone has bought and sold both and can give some enlightenment on this a bit.

*A few of the cars i am looking at now need to be repainted so can control that part of my project.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:48 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If you're comparing an apples to apples car, the one with the original matching numbers engine will be worth more. It'll still be worth more in the future, but you're also paying more to get one now. If I found a car that was just what I was looking for, but it didn't have the original engine, I doubt that would hold me back. Concern yourself with getting a matching numbers car if the main reason for getting one is for future investment. For an old car to drive around and have fun in, instead of putting it under wraps, then numbers originality can become less important. I would rather buy a car that I could afford, and is more financially practical, than not to buy one I can't afford.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:20 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

Yeah if your looking at say a big block Camaro then an original #s matching car is worth more than a 6 cylinder car that has had a big block dropped in. the only down side is with original cars is that its usually not the best idea to drive them since their value is in being original and as low of mileage as possible. for enjoyment purposes you will have more fun in a non numbers matching car unless that is your main concern.