Help Out the New Guy - Starting 68 Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 03:46 PM
Default Help Out the New Guy - Starting 68 Restoration

New to the forum and figured I would get right to it. I am planning my first major restoration and am in need of some direction.

I would say my mechanic experience is fair but am definitely new to restorations. Have done some engine builds and various other mechanical fixes/adds, but no significant body work. My funds are pretty much limitless (within reason), and I can devote a decent amount of time each week - so all in all I think it is a good time to start. At this point, I really have two questions:

Should I do a full on rotisserie for my first go at a restoration, or wait until I am ready? The body is in good shape with the panels already replaced.

Could use some reacquainting with the welder/cutting. And, definitely need some basics on body work. Recommend a class somewhere? Practice on a junk car???

Take a look at my photobucket (Pictures by vmi2008 - Photobucket) and let me know what you think. Ready to do this right and will certainly get my own build thread up. Thanks.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:50 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The car looks to be in very decent shape, and it already has new panels. Is the paint not as nice as it looks in the pictures? What kind of work does the car need to warrant stripping it all down to nothing?

Old 07-24-2011, 08:27 AM

guess that kinda answers my question...really could just use some front floor pans (mostly passenger) and a new trunk. The guy before me was going to drag race it, so he put a real quick/poor layer of paint over it that actually is starting to peel on the left front. (will get pictures up soon)

in order to really tell the condition of the entire car...do you recommend stripping down the paint or just go with the fixes I can see??? I have to consider the fact that he did a quick job of the paint, so I question the quality of the body fixes (although they look/are solid).

I am going to gut the car before paint and then take it to my buddy's shop, so i figured they could do the stripping of the paint if I couldn't/didn't need to.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:57 AM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

Yes if you dont know the true history of "quality" body work then strip the paint off. Most of us that go into these projects become some what of an archaeologist. The more we teardown the more we discover. Once the paint is off you will see what needs done and take the advice of what the body shop tells you if they are a reputable place. Nothing like getting all done and saying to yourself dang I wished I wouldve done this or that in the beginning when you find problems down the road. I just wished I would have had access to a rotisserie for mine in getting a better job of cleanup and paint on the underside of it.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:16 PM

I did my first restoration on a 69 this last winter in my garage. Check out utube there are alot of people filming themselves doing work and giving info on how to do stuff. I did everthing myself. People dont believe I never painted before when looking at the car. I even did the strips myself. Dont be atraid to try things.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes

orocker and kudnu89 both hit the nail right on the head. ALWAYS take it to bare metal. It's never a good feeling to get a couple years down the road to see paint bubbling off and then strip it to find out it was either rust that wasn't fixed or was bondo'd over or there was something that wasn't cleaned properly and it's actually the remainder of the existing paint that is actually bubbling up taking your new paint with it. Also never be afraid to get your hands dirty. Remember, the Titanic was built by professionals and the Ark was built by amateurs. As far as the rotisserie goes, just like orocker said that are great to have. After climbing in and out of cars, under them and turned in so many odd positions to get to things that I should by all rights be a contortionist by now. Save your back, knees, elbows, and anything else you can and get one if you plan on doing any other cars in your lifetime. If not pay someone who has one. Never skimp on prep work. I have seen show piece paint work last 5 years and horrible orange peeled trashy paint stand for 20 just from the difference in prep work.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:43 PM

thank you guys very much, i have a set of guys that have been painting/body work for 20+ years that i can use as a crutch. as far as restorations and these camaros go, quick preferences on removing paint as i know there are a million ways to do it???

Old 07-24-2011, 07:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

You can go one of several ways to get it out. They make stripper discs that go one a 7 in backing pad for a grinder that work very well. There is also soda or walnut blasting which will only take paint off but leave the rust. Typical media blasting using sand, aluminum oxide, glass beads or any number of other things works very well for cleaning everything off the metal but it tends to get trapped in seams and will typically blow out at the least opportune moment such as when you are spraying topcoat. Last but not least if you have the budget for it and you want the cleanest finish with the least work, have it dipped. It can take a while to get your car back and you'll want to have it completely stripped of any other parts before you take it. What I usually do is have them dipped while I have all of my engine machine work done. This usually gives me time to set up my parts area so that once I get started on the car everything I have taken off is organized. I'm sure orocker can tell you, now that I have read her build thread, there is nothing worse than trying to find a part that you know you have, then buying a new one just to find the perfectly usable one you already had after you are finished. Then if you still have time after that is done start cleaning the parts and refinishing them. There is always something to be done while other parts are being worked on.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:50 PM

thank yall - great inputs that really helped decide to get started. gathered my chassis manual/restoration book, etc and am ready to start disassembly. have a good system of tagging and organizing all the parts. plan is to get it to bare bones...do the floor panel/trunk replacement and THEN get it dipped/painted. question is - i think i need to take a welding class at a community college to get reacquainted. is this the best option? i know the vocational schools require you to do the entire program. i am doing the rebuild out of norfolk, va if you have some specific recommendations.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Sorry for the late reply I have been out of town. When I was in the Navy about 10 years ago I took a welding class at tidewater. Great program and I would recommend it to anyone if it is still available. They have a number of great automotive classes to choose from including autobody if I recall correctly.

Quick Reply: Help Out the New Guy - Starting 68 Restoration