Guidance for spring removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 10:20 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Guidance for spring removal

I have a front clip that I am restoring for a 69rs convertible. It is completely out of the car. Wheels still attached. I want to remove the springs from the control arms. These have plenty of compression and pose a danger if removed incorrectly. I have tried a coil spring compressor but it would not fit into the lower arm hole. Anyone have another angle? Thinking of removing the shock and using a 1/2" threaded rod with big washers; compressing the spring and removing the lower control arm mount. Any opinions?

Old 10-27-2007, 11:11 AM
Default RE: Guidance for spring removal

did you try removing the two peices put them inside the spring then thread the rod?

Old 10-27-2007, 11:18 AM
1st Gear Member

i put a floor jack under the coil spring and when you get the lower ball joint out of the knuckle slowly let down the floor jack , make sure you put the coming from the front of the car , don't come in from the sideof the car

[IMG]local://upfiles/6679/EBB54B4AD548424682D7483619F6C49F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-27-2007, 11:21 AM
1st Gear Member

i ment to say make sure you come in from the front of the car with the floor jack not the side

[IMG]local://upfiles/6679/A3D4091D1C744A6B849EDE971FC60C08.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-27-2007, 11:34 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

ORIGINAL: dacats67

i put a floor jack under the coil spring and when you get the lower ball joint out of the knuckle slowly let down the floor jack , make sure you put the coming from the front of the car , don't come in from the sideof the car
x2

Old 10-27-2007, 12:09 PM
1st Gear Member

With the clip off the car, will that method still work? This clip is from another car. I have removed it and want to restore it completely prior to replacing the damaged clip on the car. I would like to clean the inner frame and have purchased a wire brush used for stove pipe cleaning. I have visions of running this brush up the frame cavity while spinnning it with a drill.

Thanks all for the quick responses too!

Old 10-27-2007, 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I got the impression that the front SUBFRAME was off the car? And if so, then no, that jacking method won't work with the subframe removed. When you were calling it a front clip, that refers to the whole front of the body (outer & inner fenders, hood, etc.) andnot the frame. Is the subframe still bolted to the car or is it off? The jacking method only works when you have the weight of the car on it. After removing the shock, try taking the compressor apart as mentioned above. I don't see why your threaded rod trick won't work though, just double-nut it. And,I would rather use a piece of 1/4" plate steel and drill a hole for the rod instead of usinglarge washers.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry for the terminology error. You are correct, the subframe is off the car. I will try the threaded rod method and hope for the best.

I am hoping to pull the subframe from the good car without removing the engine. If I lift the engine with an engine lift (after removing the mount bolts) until it is clear of the mounts, I should be able to get the existing subframe out, correct?

Old 10-27-2007, 09:52 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Hmmm. I dont think its going to be as easy as you are thinking, pulling the subframe with the engine still in the car. There is a bunch of things attached to the subfram that is engine related.By the time you get all that disconnected all you will need to do is remove the bolt from the tranny and you can remove the engine.And how will you get the subframe out with the engine lift legs in the way?

Old 10-27-2007, 10:02 PM
1st Gear Member

I was hoping I could get the lift positioned from side of car. I just had the tranny seals done and didn't want to disconnect the motor if possible. With the tires/wheels off, couldn't the clip pass over the lift frame? I figured that I would have the car off the groud on jack stands from the go. More thoughts?

Quick Reply: Guidance for spring removal