Gas peddle

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 09:21 AM
Default Gas peddle

New to the Camaro boards with a 1967 350SS/RS 4sp car. Just wondering if any has had their gas peddle stick to the floor. Was starting the car yesterday and gave a little gas before starting the car and the peddle stuck to the floor. Had to grab it and pull it back. Took it for a drive but was hesitant to floor it until I figured this out, but everything ran fine. My car just was through a through restoration and I am working things that were not done correctly, there are a few problems but nothing major yet.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:36 AM
4th Gear Member

Linkage is overcentering or, spring is too weak. This page from the AIM may help.
It only shows one external return spring, but there is also a spring about the throttle shaft of carb - disconnect linkage to carb and plates should close on their own.

Most set-ups have a second return spring mounted at the top of carb lever and other end in front whether it would be a hole on the thermostat housing or a tab under a manifold bolt - safety device.

Plus, the pedal must not be binding by itself.
One should also check adjustment of a floored pedal to the wide open carb.
Have an assistant hold pedal to the floor and make adjustment at carb linkage end, reattach and ensure carb returns to idle.

Attached Thumbnails Gas peddle-67-gas.jpg  
Old 03-31-2015, 12:18 PM

Thanks

Old 03-31-2015, 03:20 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Also make sure your motor mount isn't torn. A lifting engine will pull the mechanical linkage and open the throttle.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:23 PM
4th Gear Member

Good point

Old 04-16-2015, 12:50 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for you comments, got the car back from a local shop and found that the problems where that the throttle was hooked up completely wrong, missing the choke along with other things. Shop did a great job and was very happy, if you are in the Phoenix Area, I would recommend Browns Classic Autos in Scottsdale. Will bring it back at the end of the summer for a new tilt column and some touch up work.