Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 12:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Gas?

Got a 68 that is complete without paint. One thing though, I've had it home for a few months, last weekend I went and filled the gas tank for the first time (it had only had a couple gallons in it since it's been home). Since I filled it, my garage smells like raw gas bad! There are no leaks any where that I can find. The fuel tank is new as is the fuel lines. Any ideas guys?
Thanks
Scott

Old 10-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Good possibility that your gas cap isn't a vented type, and pressure is building up inside the tank and finally pushing itself out, along with the fumes.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Oh ok I'll check that, the cap is an after market "SS" cap.
Thanks,
Scott

Old 10-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I had replaced my old gas cap (different style from yours though) with a new "vented" one, just because mine was old. The new one didn't vent, even though it was stamped as a vented cap. Pressure built up inside the tank, enough for it to push gas right past the sending unit gasket. I put the old cap back on, problem solved.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:25 PM
May 2010 ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Mine leaked at the filler tube and stunk up the garage so bad I had to leave it outside for the night. I couldnt see the wet gas until I took off the plate and saw the dampness. Just in case you didnt look there already.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I was going to say the same thing.... check the filler neck hose at the tank. Pull the rear plate and see if you feel or see any wet gas spots.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:08 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I slid under it again, it was wet on the bottom forward corners of the tank a little bit and there was a small 50 cent size spot on the floor. I think it came from the top by the sending unit/fuel line area. It was a little wet in that area. I took out about a 1/4 (now with 3/4 full tank) and seems better. It may be pushing through the gasket at the sending unit like 69 says. Is there a vent somewhere on the top of the tank that has a hose or tube that could be missing?
When I got the car the previuos owner had put in new tank and stuff but did not clamp the filler neck hose so it was just sitting there loose, when I first tried to put gas in it, gas would go everywhere. I got that fixed, filled it up no probs until this new issue.
Thanks Scott

Old 10-04-2010, 12:22 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm not a 69 guy, but I'm pretty sure that 69's are cap vented as Camaro 69 stated, since caps are cheap I would replace it. I'm curious if you are having any problems at higher rpms. Gas tanks must vent, a venting problem should leave the motor starving for fuel, it's like putting a finger over the top of a straw filled with water, the water will not flow until the finger is removed. Old fuel tanks are designed to allow air into the tank and pressure to escape.

If that doesn't fix it then I would drop the tank. The only reason I say this is because you mentioned:

"When I got the car the previuos owner had put in new tank and stuff but did not clamp the filler neck hose so it was just sitting there loose, when I first tried to put gas in it, gas would go everywhere. I got that fixed, filled it up no probs until this new issue."

If the previous owner didn't clamp the filler neck hose, what makes you believe he did anything else correctly? Are the fuel lines leaking or connected correctly? Is the fuel sending unit gasket fully intact or there at all? Is the fuel sending unit completely attached to the tank all the way to the end stops?

No real way to know other than dropping the tank and inspecting everything, which is easy. This will give you a chance to personally inspect the tank, filler neck hose, fuel sending unit, sending unit gasket, and that the sending unit along with the attaching lines are secured properly.

You might also want to take the opportunity to paint your straps and the outside of your tank. If there is debris in the tank (rust chips etc.) it can be removed by adding a half gallon of gas, sloshing it around and pouring it out into a bucket. The debris will settle into the bottom of the bucket, so just re-pour 7/8th of the bucket back into the tank and keep repeating until the junk is out.

When you are done use that gas for your lawn mower and pour the last 1/8th of the bucket through a coffee filter on top of a mesh to catch any debris.

I'm sure if I missed anything Camaro 69 will correct me.

Last edited by shevrolay; 10-04-2010 at 12:33 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ya I think your right shevrolay, I will be dropping the tank out next weeked to check the things you listed.
I got home today and the garage doesn't smell too bad now that it only has 5/8 of a tank, but I don't want to have to worry constantly about the tank being to full.
Thanks guys,
Scott

Old 10-06-2010, 12:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Anytime Scott! I am always of the mind set that if you are going to take the time to pull one thing, you might as well look at all the other things you can do while your at it....the one shot approach so to speak.

If your trunk pans are rusted out, might be a good time to cut them out and put in some new ones. I only say that because you have to drop the gas tank out when replacing them.

It will also give you great access for cleaning up and painting the rear end, shock perches, frame rails, license plate holder. I used a Satin Black (brushed) on my rear end/axles, shock perches, and frame rails. Then hit the tank and straps with primer, and sprayed them both with a Flat Black.

A dozen or so years ago my pans looked pitted so I wire wheeled them only to find the wire wheel went right through the pan. Turns out that in one of the corners by the drain plug the only thing holding the metal together was the paint.

That's a sweet lookin ride!