Ford 9" in Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 09:55 AM
Default Ford 9" in Camaro

Hey guys has anyone put a ford 9" rear end in a 1967 camaro. I am just wondering the 9" is an offset pinion where my 10 bolt comes straight out. Just wondering if this would make a difference. The 9" is offset by about 2 inches. I have already shortened it and bought my axles and now I notice that the offset is different from my 10 bolt. Hope this isn't going to cost me some serious money. Let me know guys. Thanks.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:33 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr
Default RE: Ford 9" in Camaro

Blade has a ford 9 in his 67. Check oout his progress thread at the top of the 1st gen page, if that doesnt net any info he might show up to help or another member who has experiance with this will. Good luck.

also have you tried the 'search' function?

Old 05-15-2008, 09:34 AM
June 2007 ROTM

ORIGINAL: srich1207

Hey guys has anyone put a ford 9" rear end in a 1967 camaro. I am just wondering the 9" is an offset pinion where my 10 bolt comes straight out. Just wondering if this would make a difference. The 9" is offset by about 2 inches. I have already shortened it and bought my axles and now I notice that the offset is different from my 10 bolt. Hope this isn't going to cost me some serious money. Let me know guys. Thanks.
i got ur email! Are u trying to use ur stock drive shaft? I used mine just have to use the yok for the 9inch.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:16 PM
1st Gear Member

You should be fine with the off-set on the ford without changing a thing. Chevy used a difference in transmission output shaft to input of yoke height. Ford used the offset on the 9" housing and the heights of the transmission output and yoke input are the same. I beleive mopars actually offset the engine in the engine bay.

You do need a little bit of offset, this keeps the bearings in the U-joints going roundy roundy, if they don't they lock up, get hot, break,and you drag a driveshaft on the road. Not cool to see at the strip or the street, can be comical though if the dragging driveshaft catches a crack...

Old 05-16-2008, 02:40 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. I was a little worried seeing that I have already put so much time and effort into the thing already. Blade not sure if my stock driveshaft is going to work yet. I am changing not only the 10 bolt to a 9", but I am also pulling the powerglide and replacing it with a Muncie. So not really sure of the dimensions as of yet. If it will work I will just get one of the yokes you are talking about the has Chevy and Ford sizes. Thanks for all the help yall have put my mind at ease.