68 with starter problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Default 68 with starter problem

Hi, I am new to the forum and looking for some help. I have a 68 camaro with a tilton super starter. I have had the car in storage for a few years and when I got it out and cleaned up it started fine and runs great all except for when the motor gets hot the car will not start. I have never had any problems with heat in the past. I do not have a heat shield on the starter. I tested the starter with a screw driver by shorting the big lugs on the solenoid and the starter spins, then I remove the wire off the solenoid from the key switch and jump a 12ga wire from the battery to the spade terminal on the solenoid and the engine turns over. I am also interested in a wiring diagram for the starter. I am thinking the wire goes from the fuse box to the key then the neutral saftey switch and then to the solenoid. I ordered a new solenoid but not sure if that is the problem. Thanks for the help

Old 10-02-2010, 08:57 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Since you jumped power directly to the switch terminal on the solenoid, bypassing the factory wiring, and it worked, tells me the problem is with your wires or the circuit. The solenoid is working fine.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:14 AM
jno
In the Staging Lanes

That fact that it won't start when it gets hot says it is a heat issue. Sounds like you need a heat shield. Do you run headers? Are they really close to the starter?

Old 10-02-2010, 09:21 AM

I do have headers and the starter is only about 1 inch from the headers. It really is stange I had the car stored and would go out and start the car and drive it down my street and then park it. But before I stored the car a few years ago we drove it all over with no problems ever.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:27 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

mobo, you bypassed your factory wiring and the starter worked, so it's not the starter or the solenoid itself that's the problem. Wires can build up resistance as they get hot, so the problem can still be because of heat. A heat shield may help to keep the wiring cooler, but it might not hurt to replace the small wire going to the starter with a new heavier gauge wire.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the reply. I think I am going to check the wire and change it to a bigger wire. Does the wire from the solenoid go to the keyswitch? I was trying to remember if the wire goes off the keyswitch then to the neutral saftey then the solenoid.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The start wire is a 12 gauge purple wire that leads to the bulkhead connector at the firewall. A 12 ga. wire should be plenty heavy enough, but it's possible the condition of your existing wire could be in less than desirable condition and can't take the heat. It could also have some broken or frayed strands making it unable to carry full voltage any more. You might also want to remove the bolt that holds the bulkhead connector, and remove it to check the connections for any corrosion. Maybe even start there first, before replacing the wire.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:13 AM

The wire on my selonoid is white. I think I am going to start tracing it to see where it goes. I forgot to mention the other day when I got home the car did not start and I left it in the garage to cool down and a week later it still did not start until I shorted the solenoid but then the battery was low and I had to trickle charge the battery and it started fine after that but I have not drove it any place. Camaro 69 thanks for your help.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Then while you're tracing wires, check your connections at the neutral safety switch. Even bypass the switch next time the car acts up and see what happens. The switch or a connection there could be bad, and the starter not working while hot could be a coincidence.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:36 AM

Thats what I am going to do again thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: 68 with starter problem