Distributor for a crate motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Default Distributor for a crate motor

I got a 67 with a new crate motor and the paperwork says I need a distributor with a melonized gear. The distributor they recommend is and HEI that is way to big to fit due to the firewall. Anybody out there with the same problem? What distributor did you use?

I'm also looking to maybe incorporate this distributor in with a MSD 6L ignition, but that is way down the road. Will any distributor work with the MDS 6L or do I need a MSD distributor?

Thanks

Old 10-17-2010, 10:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I have GMPP crate and use an MSD Distributer to a MSD box, I have never used a Pertronix set-up but many guys like them. I have seen HEI on 67's, no doubt they are tight to the firewall but I have seen them. Pretty sure any standard distributor will work with an MSD box, if I am wrong I'm sure I will be corrected shortly.

Last edited by shevrolay; 10-18-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:22 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Potastew, do you have a big or small block? I gave my brother a hand replacing his points distributor with an HEI on his 327. It fit like a glove, with some room to spare. Have you sized it up, or just thinking it won't fit? Unless the firewall clearance is different between a 67 and 68? Didn't think so though.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:26 AM

New crate is a 350. I'm just assuming it wont fit due to the HEI size. I've got the original points distributor in it now and have maybe 5/8" between the firewall. The recommended distributor has a 6" cap which looked much bigger than the stock cap. Before I ordered one and had it shipped I wanted to make sure it would fit. Do you remember which Distributor your brother used?

Old 10-18-2010, 01:31 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

It was an aftermarket one I found for him on ebay. I didn't measure it to compare with a GM unit, but it used a conventional size HEI cap. But if you only have 5/8" clearance now, it sounds tighter than what we were playing with.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:33 PM
December 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i have a 68 with aftermarket hei that fits but its tight.
check your body to frame bushungs if they are worn ,smashed,gone it will create clearance issues for the cap!!
Name:  Picture1062.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  118.3 KB

Old 10-18-2010, 06:31 PM

Burnt68, how much clearance do you have between your firewall and distributor and whose did you use?

Old 10-18-2010, 07:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I think your question has to do with the material the distributor gear is made of. That metal has to be compatible with the camshaft material, or you will wipe out the cam gear rather quickly.

HEI is the "standard" go-to answer for a direct drop in distributor, you can get an MSD or Mallory unit with the smaller cap and they will work just fine. My MSD distributor plugged directly into the Mallory HyFire 6 AL - I took out an MSD 6 and plugged the HyFire right in.

HEI will limit your top end to about 4500, if that matters to you.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:25 PM

Thanks hkunz, that was actually part of the question as well. Right now I have the original points distributor and need to get one with a melonized gear. At this point it looks like I'll need to purchase the melonized gear and either put it on my original distributor or figure out a good aftermarket. I figured the best place to get the best opinion is here.

What is everyone's opinion about vacuum advance versus no vac?

Old 10-19-2010, 12:17 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Vacuum advance. In the link below, read everything but pay particular attention to the part titled "TIMING AND VACUUM ADVANCE 101" Read that part twice if you need to.
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...ld-vacuum.html

Quick Reply: Distributor for a crate motor