Curious... Engine runs horrible after 45 minutes

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 02:51 PM
Default Curious... Engine runs horrible after 45 minutes

1969 Camaro 307 with Edelbrock 650 4bbl

So the car runs fantastic when I first fire it up. If I drive it around for about an hour it starts to diesel a little at idle and feels like it's missing half the cylinders when I hit the accelerator. I have to flutter the gas pedal or it feels like it'll get die out. Eventually it gets up to speed and runs smooth, but it sounds like hell getting there. Everything about this feels like a vacuum issue, but I've replaced all of the tubing recently and checked the seals. I'm going to keep going down that route and get a vacuum gauge but I wanted to throw it out to the community and see if anyone had any other suggestions.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:32 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

One possibility is an intake manifold leak, that shows up after the engine warms up and things start to warp. And it could be on the inside (lifter valley side), where you wouldn't know it.
Have you recently replaced the intake manifold, and/or checked to see if the bolts need to be re-torqued?

Old 07-31-2010, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
One possibility is an intake manifold leak, that shows up after the engine warms up and things start to warp. And it could be on the inside (lifter valley side), where you wouldn't know it.
Have you recently replaced the intake manifold, and/or checked to see if the bolts need to be re-torqued?
I have not. One of the guys on another forum site suggested the following:
Sounds like a vacuum leak,, get some starter fluid and spray the manifold and carb base when it's warm and see if it evens out. If the motor is cold and you spray it then it will bog out if it's got a leak.
Does this sound like a reasonable test to you? If so, it's a little easier to shoot some starter fluid in the area that to torque down the bolts and risk crushing the gasket or stripping a bolt head.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:16 PM
2nd Gear member

are you sure you hooked up all your vacuum lines in the correct spot

Old 07-31-2010, 05:18 PM

lol, I believe I do but I've never claimed to be a pro at this. However, I would assume that if I had the hoses connected in the wrong spots I would have issues much earlier in my drive correct?

Old 07-31-2010, 05:22 PM
2nd Gear member

probably but it is always possible it would be where i would start just double check your work you just did since im assuming it started after you did your vaccum lines

Old 07-31-2010, 05:37 PM

Actually this was a problem before and partly the reason for replacing the hoses. The hoses that were there were old and cracked. One had a severe leak and caused the car to bog out really early in the drive. All of the hoses are new and cut to appropriate lengths to avoid pinching and crimping. All connections are secured with threaded hose clamps with the exception of the hose from the carb to the vacuum advance. I was partly joking earlier and am certain the hoses are connected in the right places.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:38 PM
2nd Gear member

alright just checking

Old 07-31-2010, 06:04 PM

Greatly appreciate it. I had an electrical issue last week that was due to a wire being hooked up in the wrong spot. I always appreciate people reminding me to check the basics first because I tend to overlook them and assume it's something more complicated.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:10 PM
2nd Gear member

i just say stuff like this cuz i always miss the easy stuff

Quick Reply: Curious... Engine runs horrible after 45 minutes