Crash Course

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 08:34 PM
Default Crash Course

So I am shopping for a first generation Camaro. As I told people in the General Discussion topic (not very helpful) I am also going to the Barrett Jackson auction in Las Vegas in just over a week. So here I am trying to get a crash course in first gen Camaros. A little insane? Sure, but I'm a spontaneous kind of guy, who quite frankly works too many hours to properly educate himself on the topic. Anyway, I was hoping I could turn to you guys as I research these cards and come upon questions.

At the most Vague level, I'm curious as to some of the things one might find in First gen Camaros that are desirable, and things that are not so desirable. I'm not talking about obvious cosmetic things, I'm talking engines and what not. Now I am not looking for a true collectors item, but I still dont want to find myself with the most undesirable engine out there either. If anyone has generic comments in that regard, I will certainly read and appreciate them. Comments on transmissions would be helpful too.

Now if I were to be more specific I might ask questions such as.
1. Whats this Yenko stuff all about? (Edit: Found this helpful webpage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yenko_Camaro )
2. What is generally meant by Pro Touring? (Edit: Found information on this on a Cuda forum, Doesnt sound to be what I am looking for)
3. What are all these packages about? I've seen X33, X77 and others.
4. What in the world is a protect-o-plate? - Scratch that, I can google some answers for myself :P
5. Why are some cars listed as RS, SS, or even RS/SS at the same time? (Edit: Found some info here: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4060906AAoF6a7)

Edit: I've been finding some answers on my own this evening, but I think Engines and Transmissions is going to be the hardest

I'm not here to be a mooch, but I guess I am in a way. I'm more than willing to share my experience at the auction for anyone who is interested. I've never been but It sounds like fun to me.

Last edited by TAVS; 09-29-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:41 PM
1st Gear Member

My man you just have too much money! If you dont have the time to educate yourself on the first gen cars then you dont need one!

Old 09-29-2009, 08:48 PM

I appreciate your comment but that is not entirely helpful. Yes I do have some extra money as I've been working my tail off nonstop for about 3 years building a successful business and I'd like to give myself a little treat. I've earned it and my birthday is next week as well. Cut a man some slack. If you dont want to help me, then thats cool, but I dont need hate from someone who doesnt even know me.

Last edited by TAVS; 09-29-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Easy, calm down. Dont get your gold chain in a wad. That was just my opinion. No hate intended, No need to get deffensive.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:20 PM
In the Staging Lanes

1) Don Yenko is the Camaro Man just as Carroll Shelby is the Mustang Man. Wikipedia covers it well.
2) Pro Touring - Highly modified - Usually with an after market engine, custom suspension and interior
3) X33 - Style Trim Group with Special Performance Equipment (Z28)
X77 - Base car with Special Performance Equipment (Z28)
4) Protect-O-Plate - Codes pertaining to the actual vehicle options/build - This plate was included with the warranty book and was not attached to the car.
5) RS package pertains to the hideaway headlights - SS is a performance package dealing with the engine and suspension. When both packages were installed on the vehicle its referred to as an RS/SS. The emblems on an RS/SS car will be SS only, RS emblems are not found on an RS/SS car. The car is badged with the higher package installed.

Your right, the engines and transmissions are hardest and the big block cars (usually a 396 CID) are much more desirable and are typically worth more. Big block cars came with Turbo 400 automatic trans. while small block cars (327 CID & 350 CID) came with two speed powergulide auto trans until early 69 when the Turbo 350 transmission was introduced. Of course some of the standard shift cars are very desirable like the M22 Rock Crusher four speed. M-20 and M-21 have 45 degree gears and M-22 have 22.5 degree gears. M-22 will sell for $1,000-$2,000. http://www.gearzone.net/muncie.htm

Check out:
1) "Chevrolet by the Numbers" by Alan L. Colvin
(http://www.amazon.com/Chevrolet-Numb...Reference-1965 1969/dp/0837609569)
2) The Definitive 1969 Camaro Z28/SS396 Fact Book (http://www.rickscamaros.com/product....9&dept_id=3476)

Happy Birthday!
Enjoy you trip to Las Vegas!

Good Luck finding that perfect Birthday Present...
Stick with the Z/28 and/or the RS/SS or SS or RS and you cannot go wrong. Documentation, Documentation, Documentation... its key in any purchase.

Last edited by 68RSSScamaro; 09-30-2009 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Change LA to Las Vegas
Old 09-30-2009, 09:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes

hey tavs...im new here too...dont know much about 1st gens either....i havent even seen the camaro i traded my vette for yet(next week?)..68 rs/ss....anyway i'm as excited as a cat on a hot tin roof......the anticipation is killing me....i'm sure these very knowledgable guys/girls on the forum will be a great help

oh..and happy b'day...

bohuntr

Old 10-01-2009, 09:00 AM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

Im sure you figured out by now how a Car can be an SS with the RS package added making it an RS/SS. If you are interested in learning specifics about 1st Gens look at this page (and read it)... Its a good read and should answer any questions you have and then some. Enjoy

http://www.camaros.org/geninfo.shtml

whatever you bring home from BJ be sure to post pics. And if you buy something really nice you will just have to learn to ignore the haters, they are everywhere you go. Good Luck to you.

Last edited by Scooch; 10-01-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:12 AM
1st Gear Member

well said 68RSSSCAMARO......

Old 10-01-2009, 09:17 AM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

For example....Im sure this guy ^ deals with alot of haters!

Old 10-01-2009, 09:27 AM
1st Gear Member

there will always be haters, but they don't out number the non- haters.....

Quick Reply: Crash Course