Time to store the car.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 07:51 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Time to store the car.

Michigan 10/20/07
Time to fill the gas tank pull the battery and bag the car.(car bag for winter storage) It must be nice down south where you can drive your camaro year round.
But putting it away makes for a exciting spring plussI can save for some more mods.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:57 AM
June 2007 ROTM
Default RE: Time to store the car.

yea I WOULD hate that. wait a minute I havent driven my car in three years.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:59 PM

That's rough. It must be fun to take it out the first sunny day in spring though.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:18 PM
1st Gear Member

This is the first time I'm gonna store a car for winter. I'm putting it in a garage what else should I do to prepare it, like you said fill the tank and d/c the battery?

Old 10-21-2007, 08:05 AM
1st Gear Member

That's all I do. Some say to change oil. I will do it in the spring. And I store the car in a car jacket. (Zipper bag to keep put the humidity.)

Old 10-21-2007, 12:51 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Here's what I do to put my car away for a long winter nap. Change the oil because old oil is acidic, and having that sit around inside the engine for 5-6 months isn't good. Pick up some fogging oil at your auto parts store, you can get it in a spray can form. Pull the air cleaner and while the engine is running, feather the throttle slightly by hand to open the venturis and spray the oil down the carb till the engine kills. That will give a nice mist of oil to coat the inside of the engine. Disconnect the battery. Jack the car up to get the weight of the car off all the tires, and block it with jack stands. That will prevent the tires from getting flat spots. Put moth ***** around the tires and stands to prevent mice from crawling up into your car. I also put some moth ***** in pie pans and put one pan on each front floor. The only bad thing about putting them inside is it makes the interior smell bad for a while in the spring till it airs out, so you may or may not want to go that route. Even if inside a garage, roll up all the windows. If storing the car outside, park it on a paved area and NOT on gravel or grassy area. If it's not on a paved surface, moisture in the ground will work it's way up through the car and start to make things rust. If you can't park it on a paved surface, put down a plastic tarp first, then pull the car over it. And finally, if you are going to cover the car, use a car cover and not a plastic tarp, because the tarps don't breath and it will trap moisture under the car. Well, that should do it. A little more work now will help save your car and make it stay nice longer.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:06 AM

ORIGINAL: Camaro 69

Here's what I do to put my car away for a long winter nap. Change the oil because old oil is acidic, and having that sit around inside the engine for 5-6 months isn't good. Pick up some fogging oil at your auto parts store, you can get it in a spray can form. Pull the air cleaner and while the engine is running, feather the throttle slightly by hand to open the venturis and spray the oil down the carb till the engine kills. That will give a nice mist of oil to coat the inside of the engine. Disconnect the battery. Jack the car up to get the weight of the car off all the tires, and block it with jack stands. That will prevent the tires from getting flat spots. Put moth ***** around the tires and stands to prevent mice from crawling up into your car. I also put some moth ***** in pie pans and put one pan on each front floor. The only bad thing about putting them inside is it makes the interior smell bad for a while in the spring till it airs out, so you may or may not want to go that route. Even if inside a garage, roll up all the windows. If storing the car outside, park it on a paved area and NOT on gravel or grassy area. If it's not on a paved surface, moisture in the ground will work it's way up through the car and start to make things rust. If you can't park it on a paved surface, put down a plastic tarp first, then pull the car over it. And finally, if you are going to cover the car, use a car cover and not a plastic tarp, because the tarps don't breath and it will trap moisture under the car. Well, that should do it. A little more work now will help save your car and make it stay nice longer.
This sounds like some good advice. I particularly like the trick with the moth ***** around the jack stands to keep the critters out.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:18 PM
3rd Gear Member

Camaro 69 had some good advice but I like to leave the windows cracked just so air can circulate through the car. also if you do leave the car on the ground, just over-inflate your tires so there will be less chance of flatspots and when they lose pressure in the colder air, they will usually still maintain a regular amount of pressure be the end of the winter. you also want to put a fuel stabilizer in the tank and run it a little so it gets into the carb bowls

Old 10-27-2007, 04:05 PM
January 2008 ROTM

HERE is what i do every year fill tank with gas,then dump required amout of STA-BILL in with the gas.Without it a full tank of gas can still go bad. then I pull it in the garage roll up the window's and shut it off. i NEVER put it on jack stand's or use moth ball's to each his own. I like to on a nice winter day throw the gargae door up once in awhile and back the car out of the garage and let it run for a bit,YEP never have taken the battery out either occ. I trickle charge it right where it is in the car.Nuttin better then listening to a big block on a clear cold day in january

Old 10-27-2007, 06:20 PM
1st Gear Member

nothing like living in southern california where i don't have to do anything like that

[IMG]local://upfiles/6679/953B9BE502F5456DB779E8E9DA0994C5.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Time to store the car.