ceramic headers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 06:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default ceramic headers?

summit makes a ceramic header for my 68 for 180 bucks. Has anyone used the headers, or should i spend a little extra and get a brand name?

Old 11-04-2007, 07:00 PM
Default RE: ceramic headers?

I was on the fence about the Summit headers as well but decided to take the gamble. I installed the Summit Ceramic headers this spring on my 67 and they still look great. So far I'm happy and would do it again. The fit is tight near the steering box but I belive all headers manufactures are tight in this area on 1st gens.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:03 PM
1st Gear Member

i got a great set of headers from sanderon headers out of san bruno, ca for $335, tee shirt and some stickers. ceramic coated, 3/8" flange, collector, header boltsand no headergaskets required.
steve's camaro's recommended them.
www.sandersonheaders.com

Old 11-04-2007, 08:17 PM

In the past I have used summit about the same price as those and they were great.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

rock on i think ill go ahead and get them. Did you have to loosen the motormounts or move the engine around

Old 11-04-2007, 09:43 PM

They look like they are dented in one spot but its for spark plug clearence. I had to jack front up high and put one from under car. Nothing with mounts or motor.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:58 PM
1st Gear Member

careful with "block huggers". if you have a small block with power steering, there will be clearance issues with the power steering unit. install from below after jacking car up high enough. (chock those rear wheels!!)i did have to remove the oil filter for the driver side of my car.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:48 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I have those on mine and luv them - two things

1) left side goes in from underneath
2) upgrade to a better set of gaskets (copper or dead soft aluminum)& or use hitemp permatex for a good seal if using any header with a stock head

Old 11-05-2007, 08:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i ordered them with the copper gaskets. What do you mean clearance issues? am i going to have to modify the headers or the power steering unit. I hate to brake out the hammer and make the headers fit. ha ha

Old 11-05-2007, 09:00 PM
1st Gear Member

steve's camaro's told me that since my car came with factory power steering, standard block huggers would not fit. so i contacted sanderson headers directly and they recommended model #CC11 headers. take a look at the difference at thier website where the collector terminates just behind the engine block. anyway, they were very helpfull, and professional. removal and installation took about an 1 1/2 hours.
then i had to drive about 10 miles to have the rest of the exhaust system installed. open headers turned alot heads. kinda fun.
now i'm considering electric cut outs for cruise nights.

Quick Reply: ceramic headers?