Buying a 69'

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 08:40 PM
dbx
In the Staging Lanes
Default Buying a 69'

Hi guys. I'm not new to forums, but I'm brand new to this one!

I've owned a 79' Z and a 84' T-top model camaro in past years (I'm 48), but I'm really a newbie when it comes to cars. I've always wanted a 69' SS/RS, and I'm pretty serious about buying one. I've read a bit about them, but I know zero in the scheme of things. I'd consider buying one with no eng or tran...or a complete one that needs a ton of work. In other words, I'd like to get started somewhere around 3K-5K. Is this possible? And where should I start looking? I've looked in Auto Trader type mags and on-line, but most of those are mostly restored and cost major bucks.

Can you guys point me in the right direction? Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,

Kevin

Old 04-02-2007, 08:55 PM
June 2007 ROTM
Default RE: Buying a 69'

its possible but ur not gonna find anything real good. Maybe a shell that needs all the metal. auto trader, on here, stay OFF ebay.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:10 PM
dbx
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: Matts01ES

its possible but ur not gonna find anything real good. Maybe a shell that needs all the metal. auto trader, on here, stay OFF ebay.
I see high school kids driving them. Some decent, others not so decent. And I know their parents (or themselves) didn't pay much for them. And yeah, I've been on Ebay as well. I'm leary of it, but I know people who have bought vehicles sight unseen and got a decent deal. Not a good idea you say?

Btw, thanks for the response! I'm new here, but I'll be around quite a bit trying to learn from the different threads that interest me.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:13 PM
June 2007 ROTM

I wouldnt buy anything off ebay, too many scammers on there.

Again u can find em, but man u got becareful, look at everything look underneath the car the truck the floor all that make sure what ur buying is worth it.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Check the "Am I being taken" thread.
STAY OFF eBAY !
Wait for the cheaper cars. Eventually, they get listed in the papers. Recycler.com online listing is good too.

Check out my video for common issues to look for.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:56 PM
dbx
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: jonnyNITRO

Check the "Am I being taken" thread.
STAY OFF eBAY !
Wait for the cheaper cars. Eventually, they get listed in the papers. Recycler.com online listing is good too.

Check out my video for common issues to look for.
Yeah, I looked at that thread a while ago. In fact, I think the guy sho posted just joined the forum I live on.

Recycler.com, eh? Cool. I'll check out your video, too. My 18yo son is an RX7 fanatic and belongs to one of their forums. I guess dad is imitating hi son

Hey, can you guys tell me what the difference is between an SS and a SS/RS? I used to think the SS/RS had the flip-up headlights (which I want), but after looking at so many pics...I'm not sure anymore.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:04 PM
June 2007 ROTM

flip up headlights? u mean the hide aways?

Old 04-02-2007, 10:11 PM
dbx
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: Matts01ES

flip up headlights? u mean the hide aways?
Yeah, sorry about my terminology there. I have much to learn. Anyway, so what's the deal on which model(s) they're on?

Johnny, cool video. Not very specific, but it still opened my eyes to different scenarios and possibilities.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:10 PM
June 2007 ROTM

really the only differece is the motor trans and a few options

Old 04-03-2007, 12:44 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

The RS/SS had the lights that hid. The SS had the regular lights. The reason you see the hide-a-way lights and the SS badge is because it is an RS (by virtue of the original design and the light thingies) that had the factory (or dealer) upgrades to make it an SS. The S bagde basically out ranks the RS badge and thats why you will see them. Other wise, like Matts01ES said there's really not much else thats different.

Quick Reply: Buying a 69'