Brake Troubles - help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 08:23 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Brake Troubles - help needed

Hi folks.

Having difficulties with the brakes on my '68. The car has factory front disc and rear drums. I purchased the car with a faulty caliper which has subsequently been repaired.

The car has had a new master cylinder and brake booster before I got it. But the brake warning switch and another device (presure regulator?) appears to be original.

Here is the problem. Front disc brakes work great. But there is virtually no braking on the rears. Initially I had air in the rear lines, I cleared it out..but it seems like there is little to no fluid presure anymore in the rear lines. When I try to bleed the rears, I get almost no fluid out.

I'm not 100% sure that the brake line connections at the master cylinder and valves are correct. I am not able to post a picture on this list yet..so if anyone has a picture of what the master cylinder line connections should be, please post.

What could be wrong?

Vic

Old 07-05-2010, 08:54 AM
2nd Gear member

If your lines are original you may try replacing the flex line at the rear end. These get old and swell shut over time.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for teh suggestion....it may not be the original but it does look old. I will certainly replace it.

It seems like I now have the ability to add attachments. Here is a pic of my master cylinder connections

What is the device attched to the boster on the right hand side of pic? The front brake line coming from the master goes to this device. From this device a line goes to the front of the presure sensor/light. It would appear that this device only affects the front brakes. (?)

The rear connection of the Master goes to the presure switch and from there directly to the rear brakes. Is this the correct???

Vic

Attached Thumbnails Brake Troubles - help needed-img_2892.jpg  
Old 07-05-2010, 04:33 PM

bad original brake line is my guess trapped air in there for awhile and line corrodes from the inside out.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:36 PM

proportioning valve and the round thing is the check valve.
anyone of those things can cause your symptoms.
to be on the safe side I would replace the lines and the above items.
I gutted my whole brake system 2 years ago and Im glad i did!

Last edited by RABIDDAWG; 07-05-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks folks! I will do that.
Is the proportioning valve and check valve available? Any suggest as to where I can get new ones?

Vic

Old 07-06-2010, 06:54 AM

I get all my stuff from these guys.
its the correct stuff
http://www.mpbrakes.com/

Old 07-06-2010, 08:40 AM
May 2010 ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Bleed the master cylinder?

I couldnt get my rears to bleed right until I rebled mine. The symptoms you describe sound similar to my issue. The pedal would go about half way down easy then like it hit a brick wall = rear was doing nothing front was working great.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like the proportioning valve to me too. If not that, then something with the lines to the rear. Shouldn't be that expensive of a fix. Got my entire brake system replaced by ordering through Matts Classic Bowties out of California. Good luck to ya!

Old 07-06-2010, 05:40 PM
2nd Gear member

Right Stuff Detailing is the place for brakes. Most suppliers including Matts Classic Bowties use Right Stuff. You can order direct.

Quick Reply: Brake Troubles - help needed