Brake Light Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 12:06 PM
Default Brake Light Issue

I need some help with this please. My 69 Camaro's brake lights stopped working along with the rear blinker and I have been trying to find out where the issue is. I replaced the bulbs as one was burned out. I had a new peddle switch so I replaced it. I checked to see if the switch is getting power and it is. The tail lights work when I turn on the head lights. I checked and cleaned the ground and that is good. As I said the rear blinkers are not working but the front left is and the front right is staying solid on and not blinking. The wiring looks good and was replaced when the car was restored 20 years ago. I found a 69 Camaro wire schematic so I know what color wires to look for, but maybe I am missing something simple that someone on this forum might be able to help me with.I really appreciate any help and direction.

Old 02-07-2020, 12:26 PM
2nd Gear member

did you check to see if the rear socket is getting power?
I still would bet it is a ground. try running a temporary ground wire direct from the battery back to the tail/brake lights

Old 02-07-2020, 12:34 PM

I am not getting any power to the brake portion of the rear lights. No blinker power either. I have running lights. I will try to run a ground wire like you said. Its worth a try. I just can imagine how I lost power?

Old 02-07-2020, 03:05 PM
1st Gear Member

does the "flasher" function activate all 4 (front & rear) lights?

Old 02-07-2020, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by SoCal67
does the "flasher" function activate all 4 (front & rear) lights?
Good question, I will have to check that in the morning before Cars and Coffee Richmond. I hate to drive it without brake lights but I need to take her out for a stretch. I reply as soon as I check. Thx so much

Old 02-07-2020, 06:34 PM
4th Gear Member

Each circuit has its own power from fuse panel.
Tail lights get their power via headlamp switch.
Brake light power, from fuse panel and goes through brake light switch, goes through turn signal switch and out the body harness to bulbs.
Turn signals get power via fuse panel and go through turn signal switch and out to bulbs using the same wire(s).
Front turn signals shine as their circuit works, but rears go through turn signal switch as the switch breaks the power feed from brake light and t/sig switch applies t/sig power to rear bulbs.
Flasher is not working because it does not have the 'load' of the rear bulbs with front bulbs and indicators of the dash.. Not enough load, no blinky.

Old 02-09-2020, 04:04 PM

So, when I turn on the flashers only the front (both) lights flash but not the rear. What is strange is that the front left turn signal blinks when setting the indicator to that side but the right will not blink. It only stays on. The only light that works in the rear is the driving lights. No flashers, blinkers, or brake lights.

Old 02-09-2020, 10:45 PM
2nd Gear member

The rear turn signals and the brake lights both run through contacts in the turn signal switch. If the contacts in the turn signal switch are damaged and not working properly, that could cause the problem you describe.

Old 02-10-2020, 07:41 AM

That makes sense. The steering column is new but I know these things can go bad. Due to the fact that I am having other issues with the switch, I will go ahead and change out the turn signal switch and go from there. Thanks for the advice and I will keep you all updated.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:37 AM
2nd Gear member

Personally, I would check to see if the switch is working before replacing it. You should be able to take a test light or meter and check for voltage at the dark green and yellow wires in the turn signal switch connector at the base of the column. The dark green wire is the right side brake and turn signal and the yellow wire is the left side. There should be 12V volts to ground at both wires when the brake pedal is pushed or just at the dark green or yellow wire depending on which turn signal has been activated. Be sure to check both sides of these wires in the connector to verify that the connection in the connector is good.

Quick Reply: Brake Light Issue