body panels

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 10:46 AM
Default body panels

hey I was wondering which outlet anyone prefers for body panels. its time to start my restoration on my 68 camaro after has sat in my garage for 36 years

Old 01-25-2022, 11:28 AM
2nd Gear member

I used factory stuff, but Goodmark and AMD are good places.

Old 01-25-2022, 02:13 PM

my gm dealers say any sheet metal isn't available anymore which oem is the way to go for sure. I have been shopping around and there are definitely a lot of places on the net to buy parts I havnt done body shop work in 25 years and man things have really changed mostly for the better. Now that I am retired I have got to get a hot rod on the road or go crazy last fall I got a steal on a 70 nova ss so it will suffice till i get the camaro going again
ty for the reply bruce it is very much appreciated

Old 01-26-2022, 04:58 AM
2nd Gear member

Good luck with your build, post pictures if you can.
As always, today's panels don't match up to factory panel spec's and some "tweaking" may be necessary....LOL
I had my car for over 30 years and I purchased all new panels from the dealership when I first got my 69.
The only "offshore" panel that I had issues with was the rear tail panel.
I was told by my better half, that she would like a 69/70 Nova. Her hint was noticed

Old 01-26-2022, 10:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by elderpewter
hey I was wondering which outlet anyone prefers for body panels. its time to start my restoration on my 68 Camaro after has sat in my garage for 36 years
Hello,
I am well along on the restoration of my '68. Like you, I have had the car for MANY years (1978). I hired a shop to do the work, which required replacement of both rear quarters, the passenger inner rear fender, both front fenders, and the pan from firewall to start of trunk. Beyond my capabilities... I sent the owner a query for you, and he came back with two sources, OER, and AMD (Auto Metal Direct), and also recommended what he called a "small business source to purchase through that could source and competently answer most questions", a business named "Biscay Classic Chevy". He said of OER and AMD, they are top-tier reproduction body panel remanufacturers. He said none of the sources in the marketplace make perfect repros, but these two consistently require the least amount of retrim or additional fitment.

As you proceed, you might want to check out the "Projects" area of this 1st Generation forum, where several of us are in a similar situation to yours.

Old 01-28-2022, 10:54 AM

The man that is restoring my 68, and he has done quite a few for picky buyer, says only factory panels will fit the best. He probably has done 30 to 40 restorations of Chevys.