Auto Meter Fuel Gauge Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 06:04 AM
Default Auto Meter Fuel Gauge Issues

Hello. Brand New. Anyway, Have a 67 Camaro SS tribute car (was born a 6 in red is now a stroker motor in orange and white). I am finding a lot of small items have been half-assed on this car. It has a nice set of Auto Meter gauges but a few where not working / hooked up. I am wrestling with the fuel gauge now. So at the *** end of the car I found a black wire coming off top of gas tank and coiled around the tank strap. I dropped the column in the cab of the car so I could drop the cluster. The back of the gauge seems to be hooked up at the 3 prongs but needle is always pegged at past full and doesn't ever move. 1) is the black wire coming off the top of the tank possibly a ground, i.e., if I do find a good place to ground it ever could the darn thing possibly start working? I really have no clue where else to start as far as back of gauge goes. I installed a new speed-o cable but I really want to get this fuel gauge working before I dyna mat the interior and close it back up. Any suggestions where to start. I would like to avoid dropping the gas tank. Thanks so much for your time and expertise looking forward to being a member. Kevin

Old 06-27-2014, 03:49 PM

I know this thread is like a month old but I just went through the same thing.

The black wire coming from the top of the gas tank is a ground wire. Its coming from the fuel sending unit inside the tank. There should be a small screw up by the passenger tank strap. The ground wire goes there.

Another wire goes from the fuel sending unit up to the gauge. Should be a green wire. If this is not hooked up you will have to drop the tank to push it onto the sending unit.

Mine was pegged past full as soon as I hooked these up it started working perfect.

Hopefully this helps someone because it was definitely frustrating