--Anti-Theft Device--

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 03:55 PM
1st Gear Member
Default --Anti-Theft Device--

..thinking bout putting some kind of hidden switch installed on my car..I'm sure alot of you fellows have some kind of device, homemade or bought and I'm certainly NOT asking you where it is..but hoping you could recommend something..Thanks

Old 03-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

What year? Would you like this thread moved to a more pertinent spot, like a generation specific area? Don't know why you want it in drivetrain tech.
For starters, make sure you have a secure door locking system. This one isn't very good.....the chain is too thin and cheap.

Name:  car-lock.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  31.6 KB

Old 03-05-2013, 05:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
What year? Would you like this thread moved to a more pertinent spot, like a generation specific area? Don't know why you want it in drivetrain tech.
For starters, make sure you have a secure door locking system. This one isn't very good.....the chain is too thin and cheap.

Yeah..I guess it is really stupid to put it here ..unless.. somebody's got one of those disabling switches wired to the drive shaft..I will appreciate you if you would move it..hopefully I will get a reply on a more sophisticated anti theft device than what your using C69..(thanks for helping me again)
By the way the years not pertinent

Old 03-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I was thinking the year may be pertinent since a 4th gen for instance has different hiding places than say my 69 does.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I was thinking the year may be pertinent since a 4th gen for instance has different hiding places than say my 69 does.
well heck yeah but didnt think for a moment that someone would post their hiding place... but Its a 67 RS just recently bought..Thanks

Old 03-06-2013, 12:14 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

One good place would be out in plain sight. Put two or three switches on a panel and wire them in series to where they have to be a certain combination of up & down (not all the same position) to be live. Car thieves are pretty smart about looking for, and finding hidden kill switches. Honestly though, no kill switch could stop me if I wanted your car. A jumper wire from the battery to the coil powers the ignition, and a screwdriver to jump across the starter terminals is all it takes to drive away. Gone in 30 seconds! I'd look into getting a hood lock and a battery quick disconnect if you plan to ever leave your car sit out for a while without keeping an eye on it.
Moved this thread to the 1st Gen general section.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 03-06-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:02 AM
4th Gear Member

Look under the dash edge, you will see mounting holes for the power top switch.
Make an right angle bracket for a 15-20 amp SPST toggle switch
Mount switch to bracket, mount bracket on the inside of dash edge - hides the switch - and place the handle outwards, towards the pedals.
Run ignition power through the switch.

If you want to kill the car, mount a battery switch on the pass fenderwell with the key side on the tire side - insert red handle to lock/unlock power.

Take high tension coil wire with you when you leave the car.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:13 AM
1st Gear Member

One good place would be out in plain sight. Put two or three switches on a panel and wire them in series to where they have to be a certain combination of up & down (not all the same position) to be live. Car thieves are pretty smart about looking for, and finding hidden kill switches. Honestly though, no kill switch could stop me if I wanted your car. A jumper wire from the battery to the coil powers the ignition, and a screwdriver to jump across the starter terminals is all it takes to drive away. Gone in 30 seconds! I'd look into getting a hood lock and a battery quick disconnect if you plan to ever leave your car sit out for a while without keeping an eye on it.
Moved this thread to the 1st Gen general section.
We've been thinking on those lines..makes more since than some of the things i've read..what would be a "hood lock?"..Is there one made for this purpose..I mean better designed that the the door-lock system you showed previously

Old 03-06-2013, 11:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Everett#2390
Look under the dash edge, you will see mounting holes for the power top switch.
Make an right angle bracket for a 15-20 amp SPST toggle switch
Mount switch to bracket, mount bracket on the inside of dash edge - hides the switch - and place the handle outwards, towards the pedals.
Run ignition power through the switch.

If you want to kill the car, mount a battery switch on the pass fenderwell with the key side on the tire side - insert red handle to lock/unlock power.

Take high tension coil wire with you when you leave the car.
Thanks everett..didnt see this before I answered C69..someone else told me on the coil wire removal that the thievs have jumper wire just for that..I'm liking the quik-disconnect on the fender..had one on my 72 C10Chevy Trk but sold it before I could find a way to lock the hood..I read that "these Type" thieves know all the hiding spots..When you lock your doors I figure they will just pop the lock one way or the other if the switch is inside..

Old 03-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If you don't have a lock for your hood, a hidden kill switch (easy enough for thieves to find) is a waste of time, and will give you a false sense of security. Walk up to your car, pop the hood, take a pre-made length of wire with alligator clips on each end and connect the coil to the battery, reach down to the starter with a screwdriver and start the engine and drive away. Yes, it's that easy and fast to rip off your car. If I were a car thief, I wouldn't even waste my time looking for a kill switch, or bother messing with hot-wiring the ignition switch, it can all be done under the hood. A removable steering wheel on the other hand, locked in the trunk, is a better deterrent.
As far as hood locks go, some choices are hood pin style key locks, or a dead bolt security lock, both of which require drilling holes in places you may not want to. Or a chain lock attached to the hood latch and dropped down to the frame crossbar.

Quick Reply: --Anti-Theft Device--