Another "Is It Worth It Thread?"

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 09:39 AM
Default Another "Is It Worth It Thread?"

I need your guys’ opinion on a ’67 I’m looking at. It recently had body work done, not a good job, & was painted original butternut yellow. The body is completely rust free and no major bondo was used, just a little here and there to fill in some golf ball sized dents. Some of the body lines are a little wavy, but all in all the panels are decent. The car looks good from 10 feet, but up close you can see imperfections. I am not looking for a show car but a good driver. The car is completely gutted with most interior parts present (filthy and not installed) and no drive train. The frame is in great shape with very little surface rust and has a newer disc brake conversion. It is an original RS car and like I said the body is decent and rust free, but far from “perfect”. I am going to be doing a resto-mod on the car (LS6 / 6 speed) so numbers matching doesn’t matter. I know it’s hard to tell without a lot of pictures, but if I am happy with the okay body work and paint, is the rolling chassis worth 5K? Thanks for your input.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:51 AM
2nd Gear member

Considering Cory Apple in his post " Did I lose my shirt on this deal" got a numbers matching running driving 68 for 6250.00 I would think there is a better deal to be found. How do you know the body is rust free, and hardly any bondo was used? Wavy body lines could be an indicator of lots of bondo. May not be that bad of a deal but dont take the guys word for it that the body was rust free and hardly any bondo was used. If he originally planned on restoring the car himself you would think the body and paint would be better. If he planned on making a quick buck then could be the reason for the shoddy body & paint.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree with the post above.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by dynarider33
Considering Cory Apple in his post " Did I lose my shirt on this deal" got a numbers matching running driving 68 for 6250.00 I would think there is a better deal to be found. How do you know the body is rust free, and hardly any bondo was used? Wavy body lines could be an indicator of lots of bondo. May not be that bad of a deal but dont take the guys word for it that the body was rust free and hardly any bondo was used. If he originally planned on restoring the car himself you would think the body and paint would be better. If he planned on making a quick buck then could be the reason for the shoddy body & paint.
I think that was a lucky right place right time kind of gig.

A car is worth however much YOU want to pay for it. If you are an expert at paint and body, maybe 5k isn't all that big of a deal to justify since you have the know-how to get it all fixed up. Maybe you don't have that skill set and 5k is a bit much considering you might have to throw 10k in work alone at the local shop! It's all a matter on what you want to invest in a car. Sure there are obvious signs that you should walk away from - bad body rot, grass growing through the floor pans, crinkled firewall on one side yet the fenders are straight - but again, it's all perspective.

In this market, maybe you could do better, then again maybe not! If the demand is low, you can score a great deal. if the economy suddenly turns around tomorrow and prices go through the roof now that everyone is back to work and has money to burn on hobby cars, you may be kicking yourself later if you see everything that's practically a step away from a rust bucket parts car going for 5k (which wasn't but 4-6 years ago I may add).

I would consider the following. Is the car complete? Do you want to have an all original matching numbers car? Do you want to modify it? Is it going to be a daily driver? Those types of questions should help you pick out a price point that matches the expectation of what you are going to find.

I personally would not spend 5k on anything that doesn't at least have all the parts and pieces there. Next I would consider how much rust/rot there is. Then I would consider if I plan to go original or custom. Ask yourself if you want that motor setup or you plan to go outside the box. Lastly, consider the shape of the interior. The body is typically a big ticket item, but interior can cost a fortune if you need to replace nearly everything!

Just my 2 cents.