Aluminum heads

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

So, you have an electric fuel pump? Do you also have a fuel pressure regulator installed between the pump and carb?
I'm assuming you have a carb, or has the car been converted over to FI? Is there anything else about the car you need to share?

Old 11-03-2010, 12:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Wow.

Please bear with me everyone as I ask these questions and let me know if I'm way off base.

From what I understand about engines (which admittedly isn't much), it sounds like the rebuild was someones first attempt. And was of little more value than a bullet point on a sales add. If you trust your current mechanic, just have him rebuild the engine. You don't know what else is messed up. If you don't really know this guy, find someone you can trust. This guy may be telling you about bad piston rings just to be able to have the opportunity to rip it down to the block anyway. He either isn't honest enough to tell you that or maybe not good enough to know better.

That's my two cents anyway. Can't wait for the replies.

Joseph

Old 11-03-2010, 01:41 PM

yes it does have a electric fuel pump.. and for the regulator i really do not know. about that.

i have done some asking around that this engine guy is suposed to be the best in town.
This is my first classic car so i am kind of new to the whole thing

Old 11-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If you can take some pics of your pump & underhood of the fuel lines, that could help. Running an electric fuel pump without a regulator can cause carburetor overflow problems, unless you maybe have one of those small boxy looking lower output type pumps like they sell at AutoZone.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:18 AM

Ask around and find a shop with a good rep and get a second opinion first hand. I'm no genius but doesn't going from your car not running the best to needing new heads to now rings seem like a little bit of an extreme? On a fresh motor at that!

Old 11-08-2010, 02:04 PM

okay i have it all figured out... my dad was telling me the wrong stuff so i went and talked to him myself... The person who built the vortec heads put the valves and valve springs in wrong and one of the valves pushed down and hit the piston. ( no damage just a little cosmetic damage. All i have to do is replace the heads. I am ordered some AFR aluminum heads (Good Idea?) and it should be done by the end of the week. Hope it doesn't snow

Old 11-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yep, AFR aluminum heads are a very good idea. Which size are you getting?

Old 11-08-2010, 02:30 PM

i guess i really do not know whatever the size of my vortec ones were.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I was curious about the intake runner size you went with, the heads have different sizes available.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
If the guy is telling you that there is ring damage or any other kind of engine damage from using spark plugs that were too short, please run away from him (with wallet in hand) as fast as you can!
Now, if the rings and heads are worn just because of the engine having high miles, that's a different story. But......you have a rebuilt engine.
Is this guy going to take you out to dinner first, because it sure sounds like you're about to get stuck up the azz.
i agree with 69, Run and dont look back, his going to sell you the store and much more.
It takes a lot to mess up the heads, okay so they maybe a spring or a valve problem take them out check them and replace them if you have too for a couple hundred bucks, or you can spend 1.500 to 2.000 for new aluminum heads, the other problem may be a very bad tune too rich plugs are getting fouled its destroying your valves.
your problem sounds like the rings are gone you are getting too much blowby its destroying the spark on the plug,time for a teardown.

Quick Reply: Aluminum heads