Aluminum heads

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Default Aluminum heads

I took my 67 in to the engine shop because it wasnt idling right and they started checking things out and found out that the guy who rebuilt the engine put the wrong size spark plugs in it. So they put new ones on it and took it for a spin and it still wasnt running right. They found out that there was something wrong with the valve springs. I have vortec heads on it now and the engine guy is trying to convince me to put aluminum heads on it
I just want your guys opinion on whether it is worth the more money

Old 10-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Vortec heads are good, if they're done up right. Sounds like maybe your cam lift is too much for the heads, and the valve guide bosses weren't clearanced or the springs are bottoming out. I guess the best thing would be to find out how much it would cost to make them right and compare that to the cost of aluminum heads. If you make the jump to aluminum heads...AFR by far.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:31 PM

if i remember right the guy told me 400 to get them repaired

Old 11-02-2010, 02:53 PM

bad news i am going to have to replace the piston rings... i cant believe that to short of spark plugs

Old 11-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by 67-Maro
bad news i am going to have to replace the piston rings... i cant believe that to short of spark plugs
???
When you mentioned the "wrong size spark plugs" before, I thought you were trying to refer to their heat range.
Were the pistons whacking the plugs? I don't get what happened to the rings.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:06 AM

my engine guy said that they were too short so the combustion was messed up.. I just bought the car and i put about 200 miles on it and my engine guy said that you can run on too short of spark plugs for about 200 miles and the car will start not running right. and i noticed that so i took it to him and he said the heads were shot and the piston rings need to be replaced. He never told me why the piston rings would be affected but they were.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If the guy is telling you that there is ring damage or any other kind of engine damage from using spark plugs that were too short, please run away from him (with wallet in hand) as fast as you can!
Now, if the rings and heads are worn just because of the engine having high miles, that's a different story. But......you have a rebuilt engine.
Is this guy going to take you out to dinner first, because it sure sounds like you're about to get stuck up the azz.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:33 AM

Well i can understand the heads because the compression was going up into the heads, which i was going to put aluminium heads on it anyway

Old 11-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by 67-Maro
Well i can understand the heads because the compression was going up into the heads.
Are you talking about the little bit of extra space in the spark plug hole from having a shorter plug in there. NOT going to make a difference on compression at all.
The one thing short plugs can do is shroud the spark more if they are too far up inside the hole. That could affect performance, but it's NOT going to do engine damage. Ok...two things. Over time you could get carbon build up on the exposed threads in the head, possibly making longer plugs harder to go back in. Again, NOT going to happen on a rebuilt engine with 200 miles on it.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:04 AM

ok then i have a question for you.. my fuel pump shorted out and my car back fired.. and i thought that this is what caused this

Quick Reply: Aluminum heads