Aftermarket vs original wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Default Aftermarket vs original wiring harness

I have a 68 Camaro (perhaps RS) in need of a full rewire. Originality is not important to me as this car is far from it. For those of you who have been through this, would you recommend factory replacement harnesses or a total car rewire kit such as those from American Autowire or Painless? I'm looking for ease of installation, cleanliness of install. The total rewire kits are in the $550 range vs $800 or more for the factory stuff. Finally, if you've used an aftermarket complete kit, what brand would you recommend. I'm brand new to the forum so I apologize if this has been covered before. Thanks!

Old 11-20-2012, 09:35 AM

I have never done a complete re wire, but have used Painless stuff and I liked it. As far as the Factory wiring harness if its GM or some resto product, make sure that its not made off shore. I am almost positive that
Painless and Ron Francis stuff is built in the U.S. ed

Old 11-20-2012, 10:05 AM

i just recently (last two weeks) when i have time been rewiring my 68 camaro if you have any questions pm ill give you my facebook if you have any questions i did a complete rewire i kinda had no choice cause i did a frame off restoration. but anyways we can talk out of forum if you have any questions......also i used the painless kit which OMGosh its amazing and super easy for the most part the only part i had trouble was voltage regulator thats it and nuetral safety switch other then that I was good

Old 11-20-2012, 11:37 AM
1st Gear Member

I've installed American Auto Wire (AAW) harnesses and they are very good quality.
I would highly recommend them.

I am doing the same thing in my 69 Camaro, one harness at at time.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:49 PM
lwh
In the Staging Lanes

I did a complete re-wire using American Auto Wire (AAW). It'll take a few days but the instructions are great. Don't go cheap on the crimping tool. Get the one they suggest. A used one on Ebay may be the best way to go. Get a good wire stripper too.

AAW is worth the investment on so many fronts. It's wired for a one wire alternator so you can get rid of the voltage regulator. The horn relay's under the dash so you free up real estate beside the radiator. It comes with all new light sockets and the newer style fuses. It has extra fused circuits for you to use, including a circuit for an electric fan. You can't go wrong.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:28 AM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

My AAW Classic Update Kit shipped two days ago so I will be neck deep in wires myself very soon. I hear that the AAW Kit is idiot proof so thats right up my alley.

Hey Iwh, can you tell me what Wire Crimper you bought? Ive been eyeballin a few on eBay already but if the one you have does the trick I'll just try to buy the same one.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:37 AM
lwh
In the Staging Lanes

I found my AAW double crimp tool on ebay for about $60. There's none there right now. Here's the one on the AAW site I used. It's expensive but I don't know how you could do a good job without one.

Crimper - Double

I also used Corvette wire harness non-stick tape from Amazon to wrap the harness. It gives it an original look at $9 a roll. You'll need two rolls.

Corvette Wire Harness Tape Non Stick Roll of Correct Black : Amazon.com : Automotive Corvette Wire Harness Tape Non Stick Roll of Correct Black : Amazon.com : Automotive

Good luck

Old 11-23-2012, 08:20 PM
Default Replies

Thanks for all the replies. I agree with the consensus regarding AAW. I checked out their instructions on the cites and I believe it is just what I am looking for. Also, it's nice that it supports and HEI dist. since that is what I am running.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:56 PM

I'm an AAW fan also. I used their kit in a 55 Chevy. I'm getting ready to buy one for my 69 Camaro now. There are a lot of wires and is a bit overwelming at first. I would go out each evening and try and run 2 to 5 wires each night. I had it finished up and everything working in no time. Good Luck!