About to pull the trigger on this '69 Z/28... Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 08:19 PM
Default About to pull the trigger on this '69 Z/28... Thoughts?

I am seriously considering this 1969 Z/28

The seller was unable to read the engine code, but states it is indeed a real Z. I have an independent inspector going in to look it over, but they are not Z/28 experts. So the best I can be sure of is that it is a '69 Camaro with a 302 (block raised number is with a correct 3956618.) and correct trim tag.

The photos include the trim tag and lots of good detail. I am hoping it turns out to be the real deal, or at least worth the money I'm paying. I'm not expecting miracles., if its worth the money even as a good tribute car, I'm happy.

Any thoughts as to worth and authenticity based on the photos and write-up?

-D

Old 01-30-2012, 08:26 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

that car is sold

Old 01-30-2012, 08:33 PM

Not exactly... It's being sold to me, pending the results of the inspection. That's an old ebay ad. Scroll down on that page or try this link.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:26 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

As long as the trim tag hasn't been tampered with, you've got the real deal. Your trim tag breakdown below.
The real clincher is having the partial VIN on the engine match the body. I should hope the "inspector" knows what to look for. Camaro Decoding help on Chevy-Camaro.com

Name:  doomer69Z28trimtag.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  47.7 KB

Old 01-31-2012, 06:53 AM

This inspector is from the cars-online network, so I do not expect more than the standard/any car checks. I only wish they could check engine stamps, etc. He was able to obtain the casting number, but they could not read or find the stamp near the oil filter. I don't feel that he is trying to mislead me, but I sure would have felt a lot better had he found those numbers. If it turns out to be a genuine Z/28 with a non-number matching 302 block, I will still be happy with it. I know I'm sticking my neck out, I am just trying to figure out 'how far'. I saw a '69 sell on E-Bay a few days ago for $34,200 or so. That is a good bit less (around 6K less) than what I am paying, so it messed with my confidence.

Thanks for the info!

-D

Last edited by doomer; 01-31-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:01 AM
Default No opinions?

Well, blame it on my newbness, but I was hoping to hear some feedback on this car. Particularly guesses to a fair price from the experienced folks. I am very close to buying, and wanted to get confirmation on a few things. Very soon I may be back, looking for affirmation instead of confirmation.

Also, how does the trim tag look? I read through previous discussions on the topic, and looked closly at the photo of the trim tag, and it looks legit, but since I do not have a trained eye for such things, I was hoping for confirmation.

Name:  69camaroz28blue55.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  98.7 KB

Name:  69camaroz28blue01.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  172.2 KB

Thanks again!

-D

Old 02-02-2012, 08:22 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

My opinion on the price; that $42k is a fair asking price. But in today's market, the mid to upper 30's is a more realistic buying price. That's if it is indeed a real Z/28 with the matching numbers engine. If you can't match the numbers between the block and body, and he has no original documentation stating what the car is, you might as well assume it's not a real Z/28 and value it accordingly. I'm sure the seller is as honest as the day is long, but so are the guys (so they make you think) who try to pass a fake as the real deal, including the "proof", the trim tag. You mentioned the inspector couldn't find any numbers by the oil filter boss. That's an alternative spot, the main spot to look is on the block, right in front of the passenger side head. There definitely should be some numbers there. If not, the block has been decked and they're gone. With that though, on the surface of things it looks right, and looks like a very nice car. Spending that kind of money though, you want to dig and make sure you're getting what you pay for.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 02-02-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:23 AM

I donīt know how this one compares with the one you are looking at but it gives you some info on the price. Itīs on ebay in the UK but reads as though the car is still in the US. He has a few different models available and he is based in Kansas. They are all a lot less than the one you are considering. Hope this helps.

Cheers

1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 (CC) LHD Muscle American Classic | eBay

Last edited by March Hare; 02-02-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

^ That one is $29,900. And it needs to be restored, which is why it's cheaper.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
If you can't match the numbers between the block and body, and he has no original documentation stating what the car is, you might as well assume it's not a real Z/28 and value it accordingly.
The inspection has been completed, and I'm waiting on the final report. I did receive some basic information and all of the photos.

The block has been decked. There's no sign of the Partial VIN or DZ Code. The raised stamp is there, and it reflects a '69 302. (3956618)

There are aftermarket exhaust hangers, paint in the drip channel above one door. The oil dip tube does not appear OEM, some paint bubbling in the drivers side drip rail, and the bell housing cover appears to be missing. It appears to to be in good shape, and a decent condition 3 car. If I should be able to find much better at this price, then I will wait. The problem is, I have no idea what they are really going for right now. I have been shopping around pretty hard, and found one a little nicer, but they would not come below $45k (an X33).

I am fighting my impulses. I've wanted one of these cars since my dad sold his '67 vert when I was 14. But I can wait a little longer if this appears to be a bad deal. Much rides on what I get from the inspectors report and what advice I get here.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: About to pull the trigger on this '69 Z/28... Thoughts?