69 camaro brake conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 01:28 PM
Default 69 camaro brake conversion?

I was wondering if anyone could give me any help, tips, directions, parts info,...ANYTHING on converting my front drums on my 69 camaro to disc. I changed brakes before but never converted for drums to disc. What kind of difficult and frustration level am I looking at with that project? What kind of money can I expect to spend after it is all said and done? Also I have a limited budget so where can I get a COMPLETE conversion kit for a decent price and not have to keep running back and forth to the parts store because the kit didn't come with everything? Is this a project a rookie could handle and anything and all guiding tips are much appreciated. Please help me out. Thank you in advance and have a Merry Christmas!

Old 12-29-2009, 01:03 AM

whats up bro. If you are mechanically inclined then you should be alright. If you've ever taken apart any American full size car with disc brakes, you should already have some techniques down. I think the only issue that may occur will be with the brake lines, installing the proportioning valve, and doing the adjustments so the rear wheels dont lock up on your a$$

I'm about to perform the same upgrade to a 67 Camaro, so we'll be on the same boat. While I'm at it, I'll be installing new bushings, steering components, suspension, and a power steering upgrade. Might as well do it all while its all apart. Good luck bro, they are only nuts and bolts.....

Old 12-29-2009, 09:07 AM

Ok cool. Well keep me posted on how yours goes and if you have any pics of the process then post them. I would like to do the suspension too. I have factory now so you can imagine how that is. I probably won't do it right about because cash is tight got my first kid on the way! Pretty excited about that!! But what suspension work and steering are you doing and what brands you going with? Also if you don't mind me asking what is the cost of all the work (besides the brakes) your doing? Because like I said all my stuff is stock, suspension, steering, brakes, still have the half sub frame, everything on the outside of the car is stock except the motor and wheels and tires. I'm in need for some serious upgrade but like I said time and money will get ya every time! Thanks for the input.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey guys. I ordered a complete 4 wheel disc brake conversion kit from Matt's Classic Bowties out of California a few years back and it installed very smoothly. No problems at all and was done in 1 day. Brakes still work awesome. No complaints. He also has a front only conversion kit as well if you didn't want to do the whole car. Check him out and good luck!

Old 12-29-2009, 09:07 PM

Thanks dj I'll look into that!

Old 12-29-2009, 10:45 PM

Have any of you tried the Premium Full Wheel Non Power kit from Jegs? Part# 555-630020. They say they are cross drilled slotted rotors and seemsto come with everything? Am I mistaken is there something that I should need that is not mentioned? Have you heard any feedback on these or any suggestions?

Old 12-30-2009, 05:59 PM
May 2010 ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I got mine from Matts too. Although it comes from a different place The Right Stuff detailing. I have a bunch of pics of the install in the profile. I got the pre assembled fronts, but had to do it myself anyway since they came sort of backwards, still not too much too it. I am not a mechanic, but it was all nuts and bolts. I dont really recall any major issues, but ask if you have questions.

There are upgrades to the kit too, I got the drilled slotted and ceramic coated calipers. It was a 4 wheel job, and the kit was about $1400, again all wheels, power, and the upgrades. It did come with everything though. The first time I hit the pedal, I almost went through the window, so ya they are good.

Last edited by edog2; 12-30-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:39 PM

I checked out Matts but I couldn't find the price on the website. Do any of you know how much the front conversion kit would cost? And the price of the upgrade with slotted rotors and coated calipers?

Old 12-30-2009, 10:14 PM
May 2010 ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

http://www.getdiscbrakes.com/RSeComm...31&fName=Front Disc Conversions&Year=1969&ModelID=105

Probably have to copy and paste the whole link. This is the site that my kit actually came from. I think Matt's is a vendor for them. The front kit was 595 for power 525 for standard. Research it though, to make sure it is what you need. Once you pick it, you can upgrade in the cart. I was just messing with it and it wasnt working, but my system is kind of locked down.

This was were I got tech support for my install when I needed to ask questions. I think the guy I worked with was Bear, but its been awhile. Always got me a straight answer.

Last edited by edog2; 12-30-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I had the same problem when i first bought my 67'. It was an even bigger death trap because the guy I bought it from didn't tell me he left out a brake adjuster on the left front. Wilwood makes a kit that bolts up on the drum spindle, it was the cheapest way out i could find. The kit ran $450ish, came with 4 pistion calipers and vented rotors. It's not pro-touring caliber stuff, but a great kit for the street. I needed an adjustable proportioning valve and had to get some new brake hoses. The calipers are threaded for 1/8" NPT, So i had to pick up some fittings from napa to hook up the brake lines. Good luck!

Quick Reply: 69 camaro brake conversion?