68 questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 05:53 PM
Default 68 questions

I am a Newbie with alot of questions. I have a 68 that is a solid body but it has a tired motor and worn out suspension front and rear.. I plan on changing the subframe to aftermarket along with adding a four link in the rear with subframe conectors. Basically I want the car to look like a 68 but drive like a new sports car. I am looking at either TCI or Heidts, products though thereare many more out there. Any advice will be helpfull. I have talked with a couple of custom rod shops and they have recomended the TCI products due to the strength.
I also would like to know if I can upgrade to a 69 column so I have a locking steering column?
I will also be adding aftermarket Air conditioning, power windowsand other upgrades.
Chime in and give me some advice on all of this.
Chuck

Old 08-20-2007, 06:33 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 68 questions

4-link rear suspension is for drag racing, not a sports car feel. Some say that the beefed up set of springs will improve the ride without stiffening the result. That's why I'm trying the Hotchkis springs. I've gotten some good feedback from other on these new springs. If you're looking for a sports car ride then look into a touring package for your car.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:39 PM
1st Gear Member

You could also start with the '69 Z/28 suspension parts from Chevy (or similar from others) and then add on from there. When I bought my '69 Z/28 new, I chose that over a SS package because the Z/28 was essentially a production version of an SCCA Trans Am Sedan racer, so great handling, very little body roll, great car for straightening out curves, definately that sports car feel.
Clyde

Old 08-23-2007, 09:47 PM

Is this sight only for "purist" camaro people or what? Some questions other people ask get alot of answers or replies. This question only got two. How come no one wants to give an opinion on this.? And while I am not totally against leaf springs, four links are not just for drag racing, as one poster replied. There is a reason that there are very few (Actaully almost none) cars made with leaf spring rear suspensions. There's also a reason that at the race track where I race circle track cars the four link, and even three link (which I have in my car) cars are way faster than any of the leaf spring cars left. They just plain get through the corners much better.
Come on people give me some input here. Or, tell me that this is for the "Purist" and I'll look for advice elsewhere.
Chuck

Old 08-24-2007, 08:07 AM
July 2007 ROTM

check out this car i took pics of...
http://camaroforums.hqforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=478

Old 08-24-2007, 05:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Well you've certainly done your best to make sure that I don't reply to any more of your questions! I offered my opinion based on my previous experience, since I don't race cars on a track either as a profession or a hobby, I'm certainly not up to date with what is done there. I certainly would not call this a site for purists, if it was there would be no posts about anything but completely stock setups, engines, etc. Hope you find the info you need.
Clyde

Old 08-24-2007, 09:18 PM

Clyde
I am not trying to offend anyone here. I actually apreciated your response. At least you responded. I am just looking for others with experience in this area. If I put the money into the stock front Subframe and rear with the 69 Z parts and then decide that that doesn't do what I am looking for then I have wasted alot of money. The samewith the aftermarket stuff I am asking about, if I don't like it or it doesn't accomplish what I want then again I have wasted alot of money. I guess I just figuired that after reading alot of other posted topics on this site I would get alot of opinions. So far only three. Thats all I am saying.
Sorry if I offended anyone.
Chuck

Old 08-24-2007, 10:51 PM

I also have a '68 and it originally was equipped with the rear mono-leaf springs, not much for suspension. I switched to a Hotchkiss multi-leaf and a set of QA1 adjustable shocks and have been really impressed with the ride and stance. The Hotchkiss leaf setup lowered the rear 1.5 inches and really improved the handling, less rear sway and roll.

Old 08-25-2007, 05:54 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Could it be that you are asking a question that we simply dont know the answer to?
Thats why I didnt respond. Be patient, eventually someone will log on who has experiance in this arena.
I did some research however, and founf that the TCI is supposed to be the stronger. The A/C will rob your motor of power while its on - not a lot but some. If the car didnt already have it you might be in for some fabrication, around the fire wall. I would like to install power windows too, let us know how that works out for you, maybe we could trade info.
The steering column should bolt right up, make sure that if your current set up is column shift that you get a column shift replacement and vise-versa.
Finally, I can say that we are not all purists here, of course it would be nice to have a completely 'pure' camaro however, due to cloning and such now-a-days everyone seems to have an 'SS/RS' or real Z28. Personally I would rather have something comfortable that gets better gas milage that a 'real' 38 year old car.
Hope this helps.