67 SS350 - How big of a project / thoughts on Budget

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 03:46 PM
Default 67 SS350 - How big of a project / thoughts on Budget

New to this site, and to the world of the Camaro, and looking for some input. If I need to take this to the newb section... I will, but it's a 67 specific question for me.

My kid brother passed and I'm trying to figure out what I'm in for if I try to fulfill his dream of restoring his car. After doing some research on the VIN, I figured out I needed to decode the Cowl.. and well eventually I got here.

I've attached a few photos, more to come. There are a pile of original seats & trim parts, window hardware, etc to sort through.
There is an engine in it I believe would need to re-built, (I haven't gotten into that, was told it was a 396 that wasn't the original motor for it), and there is no drive shaft.

As I get more info about parts I have for it I'll post them here, but I'm trying to figure out:
  1. What am I getting myself into? This doesn't seem like a cheap project, but after decoding the cowl tag it would appear it's an SS350, and I've been told those are worth restoring. How much value do you lose on not having an original.. (% wise)
  2. Thoughts on getting a crate motor v.s. doing a vehicle swap and going pro touring? I'm assuming the purist route would be to either find an original motor and attempt to re-build, or get a crate motor... but like I said, I don't know these things.
  3. Are there things I haven't mentioned here that would be a game changer on value if I found them in the pile? If the original seats are old, functional but not fancy... are those "better" than new "OK seats" and not top end? That sort of stuff.
Thanks a ton!

-Joe

​​​​​​​

Old 07-24-2020, 03:44 PM
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the club. Sorry in reading of your brother passing.
Nice project. If me, I'd work on what is available at hand.
You should go to Camaro Research Group and decode the Trim Tag. You will be amazed at what is in front of you.

Old 07-24-2020, 04:24 PM

Thank you - wish me joining was under better circumstances as well.

I took a look at z28.com and a few others - but just now opened your link for Camaro Research Group - and I like it. Thank you.

Group 3 - M - RPO States it is Powerglide or TH400. (this was made in LOS) --> I don't have the original transmission either, would putting one of these re-built be better than the other?
4P - RPO is L48 or L30/M20 (SS350 or L30/M20) and I have no idea what the L30/M20 (or what the value is... and I don't have the original engine so I don't know if that matters either) Some sites state that 4P is the correct tag for SS350.

I'll keep the orange since my brother painted it -but after digging into this it would appear that he tried to match the 69 Hugger Orange, but the car was originally Emerald Turquoise with a black top. I'll try to use what I have on hand. Just need to figure out which route to go on engine & transmission.

I'll keep taking input - as this is not going to be a fast project.

Thanks.

Old 07-25-2020, 02:44 PM
2nd Gear member

All that depends on the condition of the car .What exactly what you want to do with the cat .Your mechanical skills .And your pocket book. Because if have other people do it it will be even more expensive .I would also join a local club as well .and get as many books on the subject as possible .And most of all remember this is a hobby .And sometime throws a monkey wrench into things .Good luck to you.

Old 07-25-2020, 04:15 PM
4th Gear Member

Look at the firewall above drvr frame rail and see if there is a panel bolted in place where the clutch rod comes through.
If panel is there, then SS350 with PG, as BBC's, 4N, would have THM400 trans.
If no panel, then a wide-ratio Muncie four-speed trans.

It reads like Brother wanted a BBC and he dropped one in place. Go for it.
You already have a 12-bolt axle and you can read the code from the pass side tube for ratio, if still OE.
Being as she is an early build 01A, there should be a round radius rod on pass side of rear axle.
Original color was turquoise with a black vinyl top.
I may be incorrect with the above info, as other members more edumacated may say different.
One nice item I see is an 10SI or 12SI internally regulated alternator. This os fine and dandy. My suggestion is run the sense wire to the BATT spare on fuse panel for better electrical system control.

Good luck and keep us informed of your journey. I know it will be a hard one, but you'll get there.

Old 07-25-2020, 05:07 PM
4th Gear Member

Wish it was mine,sorry for your loss.
I'd probably go ahead with the 396 and make it an SS 396 clone,it's already a true SS so only a little fudging.
They did make SS 396's.

Old 07-30-2020, 12:40 PM

Thank you all. I'll figure some stuff out and add updates.