67 rs value

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Default 67 rs value

i am a newbie to this forum, however love the site. what i have seen of it so far. i have a question that i was hoping some of you could help me with.

i am looking at taking over a project for a relative. i need to know the approx value of it. i am told it is a 67' rs 327 4 speed numbers matching on motor, trans. not sure how much it matters, but it was red with black vinyl top. i am told it had deluxe interior and seats have head rest.

he has all panels and most parts. i think the motor and trany need to be gone thur probably. he had it in body shop until he ran out of money. i am told the doors and some fenders mounted and prepped. the tub needs work. the floor panels need to be replaced, however he has the parts. frame has been powder coated, but has some small pins holes, so will need attention. he has rally sport rims powder coated already i think. he says he has most trim pieces and most parts that will be needed. i'm sure there will still be a lot of small stuff missing.

any ideas on value of this project? sounds like a real nice start, but im not real up on car prices currently.

i really appreciate any help!

matt

Old 10-17-2012, 09:48 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

to resto guys #'s matching is big plus on value. also having some nicer options helps. with the body repair that still needs to take place is time and money consuming if another shop does the work on fixing it. the option that really sticks out is the headrests on the seats. that is a very rare option to find on 67s if they are original to the car. sounds like a big project still. without pictures to really see the car its hard to come to a value for me. with out knowing the full extent of what needs to be done.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:34 AM

seeing it would really help. however, i have not seen it yet. it is being stored right now. i am trying to get something lined up to go see it real soon.

i know the tub needs work, floor pans need replaced, subframe needs a little work, all panels and doors are prepped so they shouldn't take much. all interior will need done.

any ball park guesses?

thanks,
matt

Old 10-18-2012, 07:57 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

We would need more info. Even the type of 327 could make a huge different in the value. If it’s the 275 HP 327 (L30) that would be a real nice find , that car would have come with the M20 4 speed and a 12 bolt rear.

There are few secrets on the 67. The cowl tag should list all the factory options. To be a big buck car it would need to be matching numbers all the way through. Options like rare headrest don’t add a ton of value by themselves but a 67 RS L30 4 speed car (AKA the poor man’s SS) is rare itself, now adding in a rare option like the headrest could make the worth as much or more then my 67 RS/SS rag top.

If it is just a RS with a base model 327 number matching car the price with the head rests would be 18-22K after restoration. It’s current value would be in how solid the body is. It is very easy to run up 10K on repairs to a bad body.

Just a heads up there are more 67 Camaro’s with head rests on them today then there was in 1968. Even in the late 70’s it was a common upgrade.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:43 AM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

here is some more info on the headrests option

Camaro Headrests - CRG Research Report

Old 10-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Headrests don't add to the rarity of the car, unless there's documentation (a build sheet or original order) to prove the car came from the factory that way. Otherwise, they can be viewed as an "add-on", just like how many other "rare" options have appeared on our cars after the fact over the years.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:03 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Headrests don't add to the rarity of the car, unless there's documentation (a build sheet or original order) to prove the car came from the factory that way. Otherwise, they can be viewed as an "add-on", just like how many other "rare" options have appeared on our cars after the fact over the years.
It should be listed on the cowl tag under interior trim-Y = RPO AS2 headrest added to the A50 bucket seats

Old 10-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

It would be a "-Y" code on the tag, in the TR (trim) field.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:58 PM

i am going to be gone for a few days. i will try to get more info when i get back.

thanks,
matt

Old 10-19-2012, 05:07 AM

he is thinking around $7000. seems a little steep, however he does have most items to finish the car, so maybe thats not to bad of a price.

will let you guys know what i find out when i get back.

i appreciate the input.
matt