67 RS Camaro Restoration Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 11:31 PM
Default 67 RS Camaro Restoration Advice

So recently became the owner of a 67 RS Camaro with a 350 engine. I think I got it for a very good price. The car runs and only has some transmission problems. There are some rust areas but it came with the replacement parts. I just need to weld them on.
I have done body work, paint and mechanical work before so I am not completely new to this.
I am just not sure where to start with this car. I am not worried about the mechanical not paint part at the moment. I am more interested in the body work. Where should I start?
This is what I have been thinking of doing
  • Remove engine and Interior
  • Get the car media blasted
  • Fix rust areas

My big issue is what to do after the engine is removed. Should I remove the front end completely? Is it necessary to get it onto a rotisserie? The underside of the car seems to have so surface rust. How is the underside supposed to be treated?

I have also been thinking of turning it into an RS/SS what would I have to do?
I know i have asked a ton of questions but I would appreciate any advice on the car thank you.

Here is some more info on the car
1 = Chevrolet
2 = Camaro
4 = 8-cylinder engine
37 = coupe body
7 = 1967 model year
L = Los Angeles, CA assembly plant (Van Nuys)
141243 = vehicle serial number sequence

Decode for body number: 022197

02B = Built the Second week of February.
67-12437 = Standard Interior Coupe.
LOS = Built in Van Nuys California.
760 = Standard Black Bucket Seats.
Z = (A50) Strato Bucket Seats (without headrests).
F-F = Car Color is Marina Blue
I713 = internal plant scheduling code.
Options:
1W = (A02) Tinted W/S only
1L = (A67) Fold-down rear seat
2E = (C60) Air Conditioner
2M = (M35) Powerglide Transmission
2G = (D55) Console front compartment
3S = (Z23) Interior Decor group
3L = (Z22) Rally Sport Package

Old 08-15-2011, 11:48 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by XedLos
My big issue is what to do after the engine is removed. Should I remove the front end completely? Is it necessary to get it onto a rotisserie? The underside of the car seems to have so surface rust. How is the underside supposed to be treated?

I have also been thinking of turning it into an RS/SS what would I have to do?
I know i have asked a ton of questions but I would appreciate any advice on the car thank you.

Here is some more info on the car
if you are going to have to repair rust i would strip the car first then to make sure you get all of the rust. a rotisserie is not needed but if you want to go that route go for it. if you plan on driving the car then all can put undercoat on the bottom to seal it. i did my 68 without having to put it on a rotisserie and without pulling the front end.

to make the car look like an ss car you need to add
  • ss hood with 67 fin inserts
  • ss emblems (ss or ss350) in the grill, fenders and gas cap
  • ss center cap in steering wheel.
  • thats all of the cosmetic ss stuff. real ss cars have 12 bolts, torsion bar, and a heavier suspension

Old 08-16-2011, 01:17 AM

This car also has AC. Is the AC wanted in the car or will it loos value if it is removed?
Here is a picture of my engine bay

Name:  jltLKl.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  60.8 KB

Old 08-17-2011, 07:19 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

i would leave the ac in the car. factory air makes it worth more and if everything it there then you are sitting well. are you sure thats a 350? because they didnt put 2bbl carbs on them from the factory. you might have a 327.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If it's a 350, it wouldn't be original to the car. To have a factory installed 350, it would need to be an SS car, which it isn't.
Nothing wrong with a 327 though, if that's what it is. And yes, keep the A/C, for rarity reasons.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:05 AM

I found this stamp V0202MF. So I think it is a 327. What was the hp of this engine when it came out of the factory?

Old 08-19-2011, 12:19 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

MF code: 327, 210 h.p., 2 barrel carb, powerglide trans. It's also an A.I.R. engine, and I can see the pump is still there. Looking under the hood tells me your car has been kept original and hasn't been molested. Chevy Camaro Engine Suffix Codes

Old 08-19-2011, 12:27 AM

The thing right next to the engine oil fill port is for emissions right? Can it be taken off?
Is there a thread that shows how to rework the rs headlights
How much work would it take to fix the factory ac

Old 08-19-2011, 12:32 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Right. Are you in Californi? If so, your car needs to be emissions tested as the car was smog equipped from the factory. Not sure that I've seen a headlight resto thread. For the A/C, it depends on what's wrong with it. Is the compressor shot, or does the system just need a rebuild? You'd need to take it to a shop that specializes in A/C systems, unless you're qualified to do the work.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:44 AM

Im in California and i think there is the smog exemption for Pre 1976 cars but im not sure.
When I got the car the ac did not have a belt conected to it so I do not know if it works.

Quick Reply: 67 RS Camaro Restoration Advice