1969 camaro smashed roof! options?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 08:25 PM
Default 1969 camaro smashed roof! options?

ive found a 69 camaro but the roof was smashed by a tree, damaging the drivers 1/4 and some of the door,rear window, my question is : has anyone ever made a convertible out of a hardtop? i mean this roof is smashed down to the seats, it wont just need a skin, so i was thinking if the money was right to cut it off and maybe put a vert boot over it ... any ideas? any pics of anycars like this.? Ill try to get some pics if i can ..

Old 10-18-2007, 09:35 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 1969 camaro smashed roof! options?

i kno a guy that took a hardtop chevelle and cut the roof off........but if you were going to it needs alot of support cuz the fram wouldnt hold the car up w/o the roof...like the chevelle he didnt do anything to and it flexed goin down the road and you couldnt open the doors.....you had to hop over them or the car would collaps.....like if you opend 1 at a time you were ok but the whole car would bend...but i guess if you put like sub fram connectors and maby some more braces its possible

Old 10-18-2007, 10:06 PM
1st Gear Member

There's a guy in town that bought a 69 Camaro for $5,000but the previous owner for reasons unknown, (I did'nt ask)cut and removed the hard top and installed a convertible unit. Even at firtst glimps the car just does not look right. A lot of bondo, etc.There has to be a donor car out there for a decent hard top.
Check Camaro Forums Classifieds for possibilities.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:15 PM
1st Gear Member

wellt can you order like a whole 69 shell from japan or somewhat?......and use you vin number and title and all..idk how much theya re but i thought they were around 5k...like ive seen them on tvshows and stuff were they ahev like unlimited cash flow so it might be somethin too look into

Old 10-18-2007, 10:32 PM

i just thought about welding in subframe connectors and braces, remove the top and just make a full time vert!! hope for sunny days.. might be fun. its pretty bashed up,so i might consider it, o yea dalton it doesnt have a title, i guess i could apply for one..

Old 10-19-2007, 06:26 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

You would need to brace the front windshield pillars. They pretty much end there at the dash so , first time you went over ...say... 30 mph.. the front windshield is going to start to fold in on you. To my knowledge there is no kit or anything to convert it to convertable.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Yearone makes the full shells for hardtop and convertable - for about $13k.
As for converting it from hardtop to convertable you would have to weld in alot of support under the car, which is why whnever you are putting anything under your car they always ask if it is a converable, since they have alot more bracing,. Now thatyou've just honed your welding skills under the car, you would be able to run some nice beads on the fabricated windshield pillars you would have to make to support the windshield under speed.
Just think when your driving down the raod at 60mph and you put your arm out the window the pressure you feel. Now multiply that times 60 since your windshild has about 60 times more surface area than your hand does.
IMO find a donar car, a cheap firebird will do.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:49 PM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Actually the body shells are made by Dynacorn Classic Bodies, http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com/gm_models.html
Locate a dealer in your area and cut out the middle man for a better deal.
Although the parts can be bought to change the car to a convertible, the amount of work involved is staggering. I have never done a Camaro, but am in the middle of doing two 57 Chevy Bel Air.There is a lot of parts to get. Top stiffen the Camaro you would for sure need convertible rocker panels and a windshield frame, just for starters. The frame connectors are a definite plus too.
BTW: Replacement roof panels are available. They go for $275.00

Old 10-20-2007, 07:56 AM
June 2007 ROTM

lets just say its alot of work

Old 10-20-2007, 08:25 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Did you decide to buy the car?

Quick Reply: 1969 camaro smashed roof! options?