1967 VIN Tags

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 06:19 AM
Default 1967 VIN Tags

I am restoring a 1967 Camaro Convertible.
I have removed both VIN tags so they would not be damaged.
I am trying to insure that I do everything proper and I want to know what are the proper rivets to reattach the two VIN tags to their positions.
I believe that I found the rivets for the firewall VIN but havent found the pillar VIN rivets yet.
Thank you

Old 05-15-2010, 09:52 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I don't suppose you did any photo or video documentation on the tags before removing them? Whether you know it or not, VIN tag tampering is a felony, regardless of your intent. And, because of car theft and fraud, possession of "replacement" VIN tag rivets is also illegal. Based on what you said, I understand your intentions weren't to defraud, but to protect the tags. And I don't fault your intentions either, I'd be concerned about them as well. The problem is, once you pop the tags on with new rivets (which would be detected as not original by a trained eye) you now have a car where you will have to explain the legitimacy of the VIN should anybody question it. Yes your car body has hidden numbers, but it still creates a hassle and can raise an eyebrow or two. "Sure the car is numbers matching, honest".
Anyway, to answer your question, have you searched on ebay? There are some sellers out there, but they don't call them "VIN tag rivets" for obvious reasons.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 05-15-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:12 PM
1st Gear Member

So many of these cars have rusted dash panels that have to be replaced. You would think that the rivets would be a common part. If you find them let me know I am in the process of replacing my dash right now.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:20 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I know this is an old post, but it is not illegal to remove and reinstall plates for the sake of restoration. Drop me an email and I can give you the exact law chapter and verse to protect yourself. This is being said to scare you. The law says specifically TAMPER which means to alter of change the numbers.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by psy4s
I know this is an old post, but it is not illegal to remove and reinstall plates for the sake of restoration. Drop me an email and I can give you the exact law chapter and verse to protect yourself. This is being said to scare you. The law says specifically TAMPER which means to alter of change the numbers.
I have no info on Indiana Law, but here it's a violation to even remove them, and believe me if you remove them for any reason you've tampered with them. Tampering does not just mean removing them for illegitimate reasons.
In Oregon you trailer or drive your car to DMV and let them know your plans first, then they put their blessing on it and provide all the documentation so you can legally do the restoration or whatever without worries of questions by the state. I just went through this last year when I began the build on my Austin gasser. I didn't know what was proper, so I trailered the complete, unaltered car to DMV and told them of my plans. Because my plans involved removing the VIN number the state inspected the number, made sure it matched the title info, then put a new Oregon assembled vehicle number on a location that I chose because it wouldn't be altered, and sent me home to rip and tear it apart knowing I could register it with no worries when the car was completed.
Glad I did it, because I've talked to some friends who went ahead and did their's without the footwork ahead of time and had huge headaches trying to get their vehicles registered after the fact. DMV always assumes if it doesn't look factory that it's been altered for the wrong reason, and they start the witch hunt.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:43 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Ok Here is the law

CALIFORNIA CODES
VEHICLE CODE
SECTION 10750-10752

10750. (a) No person shall intentionally deface, destroy, or alter
the motor number, other distinguishing number, or identification mark
of a vehicle required or employed for registration purposes without
written authorization from the department, nor shall any person place
or stamp any serial, motor, or other number or mark upon a vehicle,
except one assigned thereto by the department.

(b) This section does not prohibit the restoration by an owner of
the original vehicle identification number when the restoration is
authorized by the department, nor prevent any manufacturer from
placing in the ordinary course of business numbers or marks upon new
motor vehicles or new parts thereof.

More long boring legal info here:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?WAISdocID=50630517772+0+0+0&WAISaction=re trieve

At one time the Dealer actually added Delivery Dates to the VIN Tag, and this does allow for the replacement of the VIN section of the car, COWL or Dash in the case of an E30 BMW without breaking the law in doing so. This is supposed to be done with permission of the BMV or State Police. Many European cars have the VIN Tag attached to the Dash pad, and you would not be able to replace a damaged dash pad if you were correct. Here is the web site. This is just logic......

Old 07-08-2011, 07:51 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I think you pretty much confirmed what I said about Oregon. California law allows it "(b) This section does not prohibit the restoration by an owner of
authorized by the department"
The key words are "when it's authorized by the department", which means it needs to be approved BEFORE you start, not walk in with the car and the VIN numbers in your hand after you're done.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:51 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Just the facts MAM!

(1) Subsection (a) of this section does not apply to a removal, obliteration, tampering, or alteration by a person specified in paragraph (2) of this subsection (unless such person knows that the vehicle or part involved is stolen).

(2) The persons referred to in paragraph (1) of this subsection are—

(A) a motor vehicle scrap processor or a motor vehicle demolisher who complies with applicable State law with respect to such vehicle or part;

(B) a person who repairs such vehicle or part, if the removal, obliteration, tampering, or alteration is reasonably necessary for the repair;

(C) a person who restores or replaces an identification number for such vehicle or part in accordance with applicable State law; and

(D) a person who removes, obliterates, tampers with, or alters a decal or device affixed to a motor vehicle pursuant to the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act, if that person is the owner of the motor vehicle, or is authorized to remove, obliterate, tamper with or alter the decal or device by—

(i) the owner or his authorized agent;

(ii) applicable State or local law; or

(iii) regulations promulgated by the Attorney General to implement the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:01 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
I think you pretty much confirmed what I said about Oregon. California law allows it "(b) This section does not prohibit the restoration by an owner of
authorized by the department"
The key words are "when it's authorized by the department", which means it needs to be approved BEFORE you start, not walk in with the car and the VIN numbers in your hand after you're done.
Yes they make you jump through hoops, but it is easier than trying to explain why your classic has a State Issued VIN installed.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:11 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I know this to be fact, because the body shop removed all my tags. I walked in and the body was on the rotisserie media blasted with all of the tags removed. I had an Indianapolis Police Officer come to the body shop to document everything. He took pictures of the VIN secret "Not really Secret" Locations under the Heater Box, the Cowl Vent Pannel, the right side of the Frame, and at the base of the Rt Upper A Frame to verify the numbers were still correct, then I was allowed to reaffix the actual Vin tag back on with the correct rivets.

Quick Reply: 1967 VIN Tags