Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   67-69 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/67-69-general-43/)
-   -   1967 6 cylinder convertible camaro (https://camaroforums.com/forum/67-69-general-43/1967-6-cylinder-convertible-camaro-81850/)

Pit 10-20-2017 03:17 PM

1967 6 cylinder convertible camaro

4 Attachment(s)
hello everybody,
i m a newbie who always loved American cars..I have now an opportunity to buy one...
i found a Camaro 1967 (1968 mod) for sale near me here in Europe. Price asked is about 26000 dollars
6 cylinder, manual gear, convertible..matching numbers, looks in great shape..
i need your advise.. on the model, the price, the engine..ect.. everything that i need to know before I buy:)
thank you very much
pierre

Gorn 10-21-2017 07:44 AM

Weclome, you will need to look more in your area, since this is not a sought after car like a SS or Copo Camaro the price will be all about supply and demand in your area. Around me this is a $15,000 to $18,000 USD car and unlike the V8 cars it will take a while to find the right buyer. Most guys love the idea of an all original number matching I6 car but when it comes time to pull out their money they tend to wait for a V8. Most car guys will not take an original car like that and swap to a V8. Now if the motor was not original it would probably sell faster. Most would rather wait for a rolling chassis to avoid the guilt of gutting an original car.

The 15-18k quote assumes the underside is as nice as the top side, again in my area. With convertibles the underside restoration is critical since the floor and rocker panels are the structure of the car. A hard top will allow for some short cuts on rocker panel repair. For the convertible the rockers panels are the frame. The fact it has the 68 mods would suggest the car has been through a lot it also kills the chances of it being a show car. Maybe that would be enough of a change to make a guy guy more likely to buy it for a swap project?

I know there are places in Europe that old American cars sell for a lot more than they do here. Exporters can make good money buying cars here and selling them there.

Good luck

Pit 10-21-2017 09:26 AM

Thank you for your help!
indeed, theses cars are very expensive here in Europe.. this one is the cheapest one I ve ever seen around..the others V8 RS or SS are around 35000-45000 dollars..
i better wait for a V8 I guess.. the L6 might not have the punch I m looking for.. although this one is a manual gear and convertible.. what I m looking for..
thanks again.

pierre

Y2K 10-21-2017 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Pit (Post 723018)
Thank you for your help!
indeed, theses cars are very expensive here in Europe.. this one is the cheapest one I ve ever seen around..the others V8 RS or SS are around 35000-45000 dollars..
i better wait for a V8 I guess.. the L6 might not have the punch I m looking for.. although this one is a manual gear and convertible.. what I m looking for..
thanks again.

pierre

That Chevy straight six is a damn good reliable engine but a powerhouse it is not. They can make good power with the right parts but dollar for dollar you can make more with a V-8 swap.
If you like it and the price is right I'd say go ahead and do the swap, it's a Chevy so it's a very simple swap. If you worry about it being original just keeps the original parts so it can be swapped back someday. If memory serves you can even use the same bell housing ,you'll just need the engine mounts, flywheel and a new exhaust system and there's nothing involved that can't be reversed in a simple bolt on fashion. Chevys had the same bolt pattern engine to bell housing on everything from a 4 cylinder to a big block 427. If that car is stock it only has a 3 speed trans I would suspect, so you might want to do a 4 speed conversion. Does it have a floor shifter or is it on the steering column? Three speeds could be either way back in those days. If it's floor shift it's a simple swap to install a 4 speed.