1/2 full when empty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 01:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 1/2 full when empty?

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me with my fuel gauge. Eversince I bought the car it has read well past full with a full tank and half full with a empty near empty tank? I think I have seen where this is a common problem but have yet to find a common fix. Anyone else have this problem that can provide some help. 1968, 327. Thanks.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:45 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

i would check your wiring first. if not something in the wiring it might be your float is not reading or working right.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:59 PM
In the Staging Lanes

It will move up and down with gas useage/filling. It just seems to be half a tank off. I just checked for confirmation after reading up on some posts and the needle does not move or change if I shut the car off...it stays at whatever position the tank is reading..currently it is reading 3/4 full, which means I have about 1/4 of a tank left. Any help to anyone diagnosing?

Old 01-15-2012, 02:05 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

First, I would disconnect your battery and see if the needle drops down to E, then report back. Somebody may have hot-wired the gauge power supply. If the sending unit to gauge wire was broken/disconnected, the gauge would read full. If the wire was grounded out, the gauge would read empty. That's assuming your gauge itself isn't defective. Your gauge moves, just not accurately, which tells me it's not the sending unit to gauge wire.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Just disconnected the battery and the gauge did not move at all. Still reads 3/4, same as when I start it???

Old 01-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

With the battery connected and key on, try two things. Disconnect the tan gauge wire at the tank sending unit, and see if the gauge pegs full.
Then ground that wire to the frame, and see if the needle pegs to empty.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Hey Camaro69, I just looked for the wire you described and I really cant tell which one tan? I did find a wire that was grounded but it had come loose...I tried to reconnect with no change in the reading on the gauge? It is really tight up there to get in and disconnect anything it looks like I might almost have to pull the tank?

Old 01-16-2012, 12:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I guess there's only two so I can eliminate the one that I can get too. Is there any trick to getting at this wire to disconnect it?

Old 01-16-2012, 12:31 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yeah, it is hard, if not impossible to reach it up to the sending unit. You want to make sure the sending unit has a good ground, at both ends. To test the gauge wire without dropping the tank, you could cut the wire before it goes above the tank, then reconnect when done. Use a solvent to clean the grungy wires so they can show their true colors, if you're not sure which is which.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I was only seeing the one that was grounding out, the other one must be the tan one you are talking about becuase it was tucked further back and I couldnt see it without getting a little telescoping mirror and looking in deeper. Is it odd that the gauge would move without it being grounded? The needle works up and down as gas in taken in or used up, it's just that 9 o'clock on the gauge seems to have been shifted to 12 o'clock. ?

Quick Reply: 1/2 full when empty?