A Typo??

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 11:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default A Typo??

So, on the Chevy website, GMPP website, and Motor Trend Magazine I've noticed they list the track on the rear wheels of the V6 Camaros as being almost half an inch wider (64.1") than the V8s (63.7"). I thought this was a typo in the specs, but the other two sources say the same.

Point being, it doesn't make sense. Any ideas as to why? As far as I know, the rear ends are the same etc, etc. Guess I need to get off my a** and measure mine.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by pezlow
So, on the Chevy website, GMPP website, and Motor Trend Magazine I've noticed they list the track on the rear wheels of the V6 Camaros as being almost half an inch wider (64.1") than the V8s (63.7"). I thought this was a typo in the specs, but the other two sources say the same.

Point being, it doesn't make sense. Any ideas as to why? As far as I know, the rear ends are the same etc, etc. Guess I need to get off my a** and measure mine.
Track width is measured from tire center to tire center on the same axle. When the width of the tire is increased (as in the move to the wider tire of the V8 Camaro as compared to the V6), usual practice is to add positive offset to the wheel to keep the outside edge of the wider tire from hitting the fender lip. Adding positive offset will decrease track width, as it moves a greater portion of the wheel farther inboard.

The specs you are referring to on the GM site are for base model V6 (with the smaller wheels/tires). I am sure the rear track measurement for the V6 with the upgraded tire/wheel package would be identical (or nearly so) to the SS specs.

Cheers,
Kent

Old 11-23-2010, 10:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Interesting. Thanks for the information; learn something new everyday.

Thanks,
Matt

Old 11-25-2010, 06:46 AM
November 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

good post Kent...and welcome