front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Default front license plate

Hey guys just bought my 2010 ss saturday and i was sitting here thinking about my beautiful cherry sitting at home and i had the sick reminder that in texas they require two plates, front and back obviously.

Here is my fear, as you all know the car doesnt have a place for a front plate, and im not about to drill into the front bumper of my brand new car for a stinkin plate, they look god awful and makes me sick to think about it....

is there anything i can do to remedy this ???? alternate locations something, anything to keep from ruining my car??? PLEASE HELP

Old 07-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

you could bend a piece of sheet metal so it bolts on the bottom of the bumper

Old 07-09-2011, 04:55 PM

I'm also in Texas, and I bought a used 2006 SSR five years ago that had the front license plate bracket installed. I was so obsessed by the "ruinous assualt" of the front license plate on the appearance of the truck, that I had the dealer remove the bracket and then "weld" and repaint the front fascia as a condition of purchase. They did a fantastic job, and I've driven it that way (no front bracket or plate) for five years with no issues. I kept the plate behind my seat, just in case I was questioned.

I ran into another SSR owner within the last year, who also ran his with no front plate. He said that he was ticketed for it once, when he got stopped for speeding. The fine for no front plate was only $10. The police officer told him that they don't stop people for no front plate, but may issue a warning or ticket for no plate, when stopping drivers for other reasons / offenses. YMMW (your mileage may vary).

Our '11 RS Convertible already had a front plate bracket on it when we purchased it last month, and it either doesn't look as bad to me as the one on the SSR or I've mellowed (or both), but I've decided to leave it there and install the front plate.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:14 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

front plates are GHAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Old 07-10-2011, 10:27 AM
4th Gear Member

Just don't put one on. Never had a problem for twenty years with my IROC having NO front plate in Ohio (two plate state). Busted for speeding by various Ohio Law enforement departments (including Ohio State Patrol) over the years and NEVER was questioned about no front plate. I now reside in Floridia, a one plate state. So, for the 24 yrs I have had owned this car it new had a front plate or provisions for one.

Attached Thumbnails front license plate-florida%2520iroc.jpg  
Old 07-10-2011, 07:09 PM

I just got a fix it ticket for no front plate on my 98 Camaro. Two plate state in California.It needs to be on to get the ticket signed off. What now......dgabel4272@yahoo.com

Old 07-11-2011, 01:56 AM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I have a hide away plate on the front of my car. It has a little motor attached to the bracket and when I click a button on the fob it can retract underneath the front bumper or come out front and be displayed. MD cops pull people over for no plate.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:05 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

We are a two plate state in Oregon also, but I've run without a front plate on my '71 for probably the last 10 yrs. Recently I changed to "special use" plates, which in Oregon allow the new SP plate, or a correct year plate to be run only in the rear.
Since my car still had it's original 1971 plate I turned in the SP plates and paid the extra $7 to get my old plates registered as SP, and now I'm legal with one plate.
I even got pulled over a couple years ago, and they never said a word about my lack of a front plate then. Seems they choose when they'll enforce it here.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:56 PM

you can get the bracket for it or you can be like me!!!!

i put the license plate in the back. I always got away with it because i told the officers that stopped me for not having the license plate was " i am sorry sir. it fell off. I have it in the back and will put fix it when i got home. i am sorry about that." They usually give me a fix it ticket or just let me know. anyways, I hope that help. They usually dont ask where u install it before. if they do just tell them the bracket fell off!

Old 07-15-2011, 02:04 PM

i also live in texas and in the southeast, the cops can sometimes be real @'holes about the license plate. on my 99' z28, i put the license plate vertically in the windshield in the interior of the car on the passenger side. they havent bothered me since. it comes down to your decision but i was like you and didnt want to drill any holes i didnt have to

Quick Reply: front license plate