car and driver is wrong and this is pissing me off!!! please read and comment!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 07:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Default car and driver is wrong and this is pissing me off!!! please read and comment!!!

(i also posted this on camaro5.com)

so i'm on a semester exchange in guadalajara, mexico right now and since i ordered a new 2ss rs earlier this summer i've obviously been obsessed and buying every magazine that has to do with the camaro...

so i just went to the store and bought Car and Driver (Mexico) and it had a write up on the camaro ss so naturally i was excited to read an international perspective of our beloved american beast

so when i get to the write up on the camaro it says that the camaro is really fast and can do 0-100 km/hour (which is 60 mph) in a whopping 8.56 seconds!!!! WHAT THE F***!!!! that is ridiculous and this is after they tried it 3 or 4 times!!

and even worse they also try a new mustang gt in the issue and say it does a whopping 7.88 seconds!!!!, which is not only still slow as f*** but implies that the new mustang is faster than the camaro ss which it is not!!!

please excuse my language everyone but what the ****?!!!!!

does anyone know if they sell depressingly dumbed down versions of these cars down here like they used to have to do with the viper in the european market or is Car and Driver just so stupid and didn't pay attention when GM and Ford handed them cars that maybe still had American speedometers and they just were calling the 0-100 (mph) times as 0-100 km/h times?

and yes the magazine is in Spanish and no i did not read it wrong...i've been fluent in Spanish for years and grew up speaking it with friends so it's not like i didn't understand what they were saying...this is BS!!!!

also, they said the one they tested was the automatic, making it the LS3 engine....UGH!!!!!!

UGH!!!!! someone please try to calm me down this is pissing me off!!

i think we need to get together as a community and write a letter to bring this to GM's attention or to Car and Driver's attention about how this is going to give bad publicity to the new Camaro and this is completely WRONG!!

Old 08-07-2009, 08:52 PM
2nd Gear member

Well, yes, that sounds like the times for the new V6 Camaro, on regular 85 octane gasoline. Not the V8 SS, at least if on premium here in the states. But then, depends on the grade of gas they were using, too. GM engine control adjusts power down if the gasoline octane is lower. Where was the test done and what was the grade of gasoline?

I've driven a new SS here in the states and if felt like a low 13 second quarter mile car (0-100 km in under 5 seconds about)_. But barely. And if felt heavy. And it was big. I wanted to like it, and I had intended to buy it -- they are fairly inexpensive. But it was just toooooooooo big. Wow.

I had a wonderful 327 cubic inch '68 -- my first new car -- which I dearly loved and still think about (sold it in '72, because of a woman, of course). I have a wonderfully anti-social '98 street-strip car that does 9 second 1/4s. I really love Camaros and wanted to like this new SS. But it was just too big, and too heavy feeling when I drove it.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:39 PM
1st Gear Member

It doesn't say anything about what gas they used...But I know for a fact it needs premium.

I'm thinking it might be the gas issue...

Old 08-17-2009, 07:24 PM

even the v6 is supposed to go 0-60 in 6.3 seconds

Old 08-18-2009, 11:16 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jnewberr2SSRS
It doesn't say anything about what gas they used...But I know for a fact it needs premium.

I'm thinking it might be the gas issue...

Maybe they were running on dirt?

Old 08-18-2009, 04:22 PM
November 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I don't get too excited over mag reviews one way or another.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:04 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

I once read in Hot Rod, the editors page, he said that Camaro's were never available with a 427 .... he has never heard of COPO I guess.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:54 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Car and Driver, Motor Trend and other mags all make mistakes and usually print corrections on the next issue. Perhaps is just needs to be clarified if they are referring to the V6 models.

Unless you go to the strip and record 1/4 mile runs, how important is it? Do you know the different in feel from a car doing 4.7 or 5.2 from 0-60.? Does it really matter? Just enjoy the awesome SS and know your car is fast.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

They probably just made a misprint.

Last edited by Dappled Apple; 08-20-2009 at 02:41 PM.