can you use a 32 gig USB stick to play songs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 12:01 PM
Default can you use a 32 gig USB stick to play songs?

I have a 2011 camaro with a usb slot, I was thinking of saving money and buying a 32 gig USB stick as opposed to a ipod.

My question is, the car will read a 32 gig stick right? how about a 64?

Also, do I have to remove the stick after I turn the car off, because people tell me that everytime you start the car, if you leave the usb stick in, it can slowly short circuit it?

Thanks

Old 09-08-2011, 12:48 PM
H2C
2nd Gear member

Short circuit thing is a lie, i can fact that with common sense and circuit breakers and fuses and the like. The first part im not qualifed to comment on sorry

Old 09-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Official GM Representitive

I would like to forward this to my technical team. It might take about a day or two to get an answer back. Hopefully it's a bit sooner.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service

Old 09-08-2011, 03:44 PM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Ride of the Month Director

It cant short circut the car... but flash the power on and off multiple times on a usb drive and you can short it out and fry it... now, that being said, it would take a long time for your car to do that. there is not enough power flowing to it to fry it like your thinking. I have no clue how big the drive capacity is... sorry.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Default stick

I use a stick in mine with no problems. The only problem I have is it goes back to the very first song on your stick everytime I restart the car.Also the song titles do not show up on mine.Otherwise it works fine.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:02 PM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Brxgrl
I use a stick in mine with no problems. The only problem I have is it goes back to the very first song on your stick everytime I restart the car.Also the song titles do not show up on mine.Otherwise it works fine.
try changing the format. write it as a "smart playlist" then your titles will show up

Old 09-08-2011, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
I would like to forward this to my technical team. It might take about a day or two to get an answer back. Hopefully it's a bit sooner.

Ok thanks man, let me know whenever you can.

Also, what does a 'smart playlist' mean? How do i copy it to my USB stick using that smart playlist?

Btw, are you using a kingston uSB drive?

Old 09-09-2011, 08:54 AM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

most programs to compile or play music on a computer have a create playlist option. you can use this or you can make sure the file is in MP3 format and the information should populate from there.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:52 AM
Official GM Representitive

brainwave, I got an answer back for you. The size of the storage device is irrelevant to the operation of the PDIM. The only limitation it does have is that it can only read 10,000 files. I hope that answers your question!

Old 09-24-2011, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
brainwave, I got an answer back for you. The size of the storage device is irrelevant to the operation of the PDIM. The only limitation it does have is that it can only read 10,000 files. I hope that answers your question!

Thank you for getting back to me, i appreciate it....

10,000 files should be decent

Quick Reply: can you use a 32 gig USB stick to play songs?