2010 Camaro SS rough idle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 02:00 PM
Default 2010 Camaro SS rough idle?

I noticed that my new 2010 SS has a rough idle at all temps. Has anyone else noticed this problem with their LS3?

I thought it might be the factory cam or just a characteristic of the motor, but it's uneven stumble similar to having a plug wire going out. It idles at about 550 rpms and you can also see the needle jump around slightly.

So is this normal, or should I have them take a look at it?

Thanks!

Old 11-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Tech Droid

Take it back to your dealer.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:31 PM

Thanks... I did some searching around on the internet, and found that a few other people have reported this with the LS3... so it sounds like it might be 'normal', but I'll still swing by the dealer to make sure all is well before I start bolting on mods.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:12 PM
November 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Totally normal, it's the stock....but aggressive cam, lot's of HP being made inside that motor.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the help! At idol it felt like my old (modified) Camaro, so I wasn't sure if something was off, or if that's just the way it is. Haha. I did stop by a dealer yesterday and talked to the shop manager for a few minutes.... he said he notices the same thing whenever he sits in an LS3 powered SS. Sounds like I'm good to go. Time to start ordering mods!

Old 11-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Overdrive Member

Oh, so typical of Chevrolet dealerships, just say a problem is "normal" -- bury their heads in the sand...

Originally Posted by Spiffyguitar
Thanks for the help! At idol it felt like my old (modified) Camaro, so I wasn't sure if something was off, or if that's just the way it is. Haha. I did stop by a dealer yesterday and talked to the shop manager for a few minutes.... he said he notices the same thing whenever he sits in an LS3 powered SS. Sounds like I'm good to go. Time to start ordering mods!

Old 11-22-2009, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Chevelle Man
Totally normal, it's the stock....but aggressive cam, lot's of HP being made inside that motor.
The cam I believe is a 204/211, low .5xx lift and 116 or 117 lsa. Not really agressive. May be low octane gas but is should have a smooth, steady idle. Switching brand of gas may help, otherwise I'd take it back to the dealer.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:57 PM

Thanks Bob. That's interesting. I believe the dealer did have some 89 octane in it when I bought it, so my first trip was to the auto parts store for some octane boost. Since then I've only been putting premium fuel in it from Chevron. Perhaps the fuel mapping hasn't switched back over yet to take advantage of the higher octane fuel?

Old 11-23-2009, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Spiffyguitar
Thanks Bob. That's interesting. I believe the dealer did have some 89 octane in it when I bought it, so my first trip was to the auto parts store for some octane boost. Since then I've only been putting premium fuel in it from Chevron. Perhaps the fuel mapping hasn't switched back over yet to take advantage of the higher octane fuel?
These cars are so new there is not much info to compare it to. My 07 Vette with the ls2, idled at 600. Didn't jump around at all. After adding Kook long tube headers, stage 2 racing heads, Comp cam 232/232 .600 lift on a 114 lsa, Corsa sport exaust, 410 gears and MGW short throw shifter, the car shook at idle but the rpm stayed steady at 900 rpm. Talk about an attention getter at the stop light. I must say I get as many or more looks with the Camaro. Thats good for the ego. Hope your problem resolves itself.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:45 PM
November 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It is normal.... don't let it get you crazy!!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...light=LS3+idle

Quick Reply: 2010 Camaro SS rough idle?