Torque Wrenches

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 12:32 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default Torque Wrenches

Looking to purchase one here shortly. Looking for suggestions in reliability, Cost, and Durability.

Craftsman is all i've really looked at.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:28 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I have a Craftsman Microtork 1/2 drive torque wrench. I didnt really need one, but it was on sale for $60 awhile back so I bought it. I have heard from others on different sites that they are good for what they are. If you were a pro I'd go Matco or Snap-On.

Edit: BTW, get a clicker not a digital one. I've heard the digital ones can get messed up very easy.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:33 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

I have a craftsman 1/2 as well, works fine for me. I dont know how to get it calibrated though....

Old 08-03-2009, 01:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes

according to my book...

"Calibration service is available by returning it to your Sears store."

Hope that helps.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:11 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

I'll have to give it a shot. I dont think I've used it enough to worry about it yet...

Old 08-03-2009, 02:18 AM
In the Staging Lanes

It says about every 5,000 uses it should be. also the book says to store it at under 25% capacity and if stored at over 50% for a few hours, to set it to the lowest setting and let it sit for a few minutes before using again.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It does depend on what you are going to be doing with it. If you are a Pro I would recommend a Snapon click type. Hear me out on this one. I used to be a Snap-on fan boy but time and a ton more knowledge on how things are made has made me regret some or most of my snap-on purchases. My torque wrench is not one of those regrets.

When I started turning wrenchs I got a good click type Craftsman (around $100). About 6 months into using it everyday I though was acting a little funny so I took it in. Thats when I found out their torque wrenchs are not covered by the life time warranty. Just sending it for calibration was $50. The clerk told me if there is anything wrong with it the repairs normally cost more then the sale price of the tool. I left pissed and without the wrench getting checked. About two weels later the whole handle came a part. Now keep in mind a normal day for me night be two 2.5 head gasket, or 6 to 10 state inspection (all wheels must be torque).

I bought a Snap-on torgue wrench for $290 and for the next 5 years was smooth sailing. I even had it calibrated twice (My Snap-on guy gave me a loaner) each time it needed only minor adjustments and cost $35. These tools a designed to be used everyday. The craftsman are not. I am sure I would still have it today but it was stolen from my basement.

Non Pros- the craftsman would most likely last a life time.

Now if you want to talk race engine building thats a whole nother story Snap-on may build one of the more reliable wrenchs but there are many companies that make Lab grade torque wrenchs.

Last edited by Gorn; 08-03-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:35 AM
3rd Gear Member

I wrench for a Hobby, but I tear into quite a bit of stuff while doing so.

I also, like many, Have "Needy Neighbors" who love to borrow tools.

I too have heard negitive things about the digital wrenches.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:29 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
It does depend on what you are going to be doing with it. If you are a Pro I would recommend a Snapon click type. Hear me out on this one. I used to be a Snap-on fan boy but time and a ton more knowledge on how things are made has made me regret some or most of my snap-on purchases. My torque wrench is not one of those regrets.

When I started turning wrenchs I got a good click type Craftsman (around $100). About 6 months into using it everyday I though was acting a little funny so I took it in. Thats when I found out their torque wrenchs are not covered by the life time warranty. Just sending it for calibration was $50. The clerk told me if there is anything wrong with it the repairs normally cost more then the sale price of the tool. I left pissed and without the wrench getting checked. About two weels later the whole handle came a part. Now keep in mind a normal day for me night be two 2.5 head gasket, or 6 to 10 state inspection (all wheels must be torque).

I bought a Snap-on torgue wrench for $290 and for the next 5 years was smooth sailing. I even had it calibrated twice (My Snap-on guy gave me a loaner) each time it needed only minor adjustments and cost $35. These tools a designed to be used everyday. The craftsman are not. I am sure I would still have it today but it was stolen from my basement.

Non Pros- the craftsman would most likely last a life time.

Now if you want to talk race engine building thats a whole nother story Snap-on may build one of the more reliable wrenchs but there are many companies that make Lab grade torque wrenchs.
Crap, now I have a reason to get a different one lol!

Originally Posted by GMDCAMARO
I wrench for a Hobby, but I tear into quite a bit of stuff while doing so.

I also, like many, Have "Needy Neighbors" who love to borrow tools.

I too have heard negitive things about the digital wrenches.
screw that. I used to let people use my tools but some like to just grabe them without asking. that ruined it for every body. Now only my dad other than me can use my tools.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Fancy Sparkle

i've got two Snap-On torque wrenchs. i've got a 1/2" drive and a 1" drive (100ft/lbs-1800ft/lbs). the 1" comes out when i really need to get something on tight (like main caps on a Detriot 60 Series)

Quick Reply: Torque Wrenches