Snap-On??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 07:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes

For years I just had a few od Snap-on items, and I really liked the feel of their hand tools. Then I realized that there were over 1,000 auctions ending every day for used Snap-on tools on eBay. I was hooked. I could buy used Snap-on for less than the cost of new Craftsman. Little by little, I acquired a whole collection of Snap-on tools, all second hand.

Seeing that this was a great marketplace, I got my teenage son started selling professional tools on eBay, mostly to keep him from playing video games 24/7. He is doing really well, and sells about 100 tools each month; mostly Snap-on. Every time he buys a big collection of tools, I take a few items to add to my collection. So the cost of Snap-on tools for me has now gone from 60% to 70% off to free, (I do help my son quite a bit with his business though). At this point, I'm as well equipped as most professional technicians; all I'm really missing is a lift and modern electronic diagnostic equipment.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:32 PM

I have a set of their line wrenches - can't beat them when you're working on brake lines.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:50 PM

I have a large selection of snap-on tools. and a growing collection of matco stuff as well. we have even stocked the race trailer with a good variety of snap-on tools. can't get any better tool. they fit the hand well and dont get easily worn out.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:18 AM

I only use snap-on. Tool box and all.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:43 AM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

i only use craftsman,,, when we built our barn i found in the dirt i dug up an very old wooden handled screwdriver, on the shaft it craftsman imprinted... i took it to sears and they said they would replace it, but hell no that things sweet,

Old 07-28-2010, 01:03 PM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^^ i have a similar story with Mastercraft, i found a broken 1/2" ratchet while mowing the lawn at my new place, returned it to Canadian Tire and they gave me a brand new one (without any receipts). Guaranteed for life.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The unconditional warranty is pretty common now a days. I think even Harbor Freight has it with their Pittsburg line of tools. There is a pretty large markup on hand tools and they know 98% of the tools will not come back.

What most people do not realize is that once a heading machine (what ,most sockets are made on) is setup it can run 120 per minute. Thats 7200 sockets per hour. Most machine cost about $80 per hour to run. You will spend more money driving to exchange a socket then it costs to make it.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:29 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

but i break alot of tools so its worth it to me to get replacments

Old 08-01-2010, 12:35 PM
2nd Gear member

i got napa tools from school and they are ok break every once in a while but i also have a set of craftsman that my father in law found in a house he was flipping and he really isnt into working on cars so he gave them to me

Old 08-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by DarkKnight
but i break alot of tools so its worth it to me to get replacments
Spoken like a true Craftsmen user Most mechanic start with craftsmen. I uses to keep (3) 15mm deepwell sockets so I could go a whole week without going to sears. I switched to Snapon and I never broke a socket. Thats working flat rate, I have even beated undersize sockets on to rusty bolts and used a 1/2" impacted on them. The socket would form a new hex. Course I have to use the press to get the bolt out of the socket. Try that with a craftsmen

BTW I do have craftsmen now. They are fine for a hobbiest. If a socket breaks I don't loose money like I did as a mechanic. Although I do use the pro series ratchets and wrenchs. Those made an china craftsmen wrechs are just looking for knukles to bust and those base line ratchet have about 20 teeth.

Quick Reply: Snap-On??