93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Freeze plug number & location

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 07:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Freeze plug number & location

Hi Gang...I'll try to make a long story short by saying I'm having major cooling system problems and took my 95 3.4 to a trusted mechanic for a looksee. He replaced the water pump, thermostat, some hoses, and a freeze plug. I had a different freeze plug go bad just a month ago and they replaced that as well. Now I have another leaking and my mechanic told me that there was so much corrosion and rust in my cooling system, that I could expect all my freeze plugs to fail sooner rather than later. So my question is where can I find a diagram of all the freeze plug locations. I've looked around and have come up with nothing. How many are there on a 3.4. He suggested I pull the engine and replace them all at one time. Thanks...Bruce

Old 11-08-2008, 08:14 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Freeze plug number & location

I Just did a search of the V6 section on freeze plugs, and from what I found, it seems there are 6. One by the oil filter, one by the water pump, (I've just replaced these) one somewhere around the power steering pump, and three behind the tranny. I think the one by the PS pump is the source of my current leak. Does anyone know of any more? Also, if the ones behind the tranny begin to leak, can this cause damage to the tranny?I found and purchased a dealer service manual set for my car on E-bay, which I should get this week, so hopefully that will shed some light.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

On my 1994 camaro v6 3.4 i had the same problem.. but i replaced 1 freeze plug which was on the front of the block just behind the resistor pulley.. and 1 i had to drop the transmission on to get to it on the back of the block.. but also check your Knock sensor.. mine was leaking also.... so i replaced that and and also to help out the corrossion and stuff.. i mixed some JB weld mechanics.. and put it around the outer rim of the freeze plug and put it in there.. then i also covered the freeze plug ( cause they kept popping out ) now they dont lol.. and even if something did happen to the freeze plug the jb weld should be able to hold it just make sure your let it dry for 24 hours.. otherwise it might now work.. also make sure you dont get the rubber expandable freeze plugs.. they will just pop out.... i hope i helped ya some..

Old 11-09-2008, 05:53 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for the comeback. I'm mostly curious about how many total there are and their locations. I was told by one mechanic that the engine might have to be pulled to replace some of them. I hope that's not the case. Is there a special tool to get them out? I tried to get the one by the oil filter myself and it would not pop out. I ended up making a temp seal and driving it to a mechanic to be replaced. I'm doing the rest of mine myself if it takes all winter, but I don't have the place, equipment, or knowledge to pull the engine. Besides, if it came to that, I would replace or rebuild the engine. It has 140,000 on it.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:48 AM
In the Staging Lanes

im not for sure how many there are.. but all i do know is there are 2 freeze plugs and a knock sensor lol.. and if the freeze plugs are in the block which i do believe they are.. you can knock them into the block.. they will disappear quickly And also make sure you get the outer ring of it too.. things might become frustrating when trying to get a new one in and it wont fit because you left the outer ring or something and yes 140 k miles.. not bad.. mine has 180 k

Old 11-09-2008, 10:06 PM
1st Gear Member

im pretty sure that six figure sounds right i know there are 3 behind the tranny and u deff have to pull the tranny clutch and flywheel to do them
[align=left] [/align]

Old 10-18-2019, 11:10 PM

I have a leak on my 96 3.8 I was flushing out my radiator and I notice a leak coming from the back of the engine. My son went under and took this pic. He said it's coming from the metal piece in the upper left hand coner. I was told that's a freeze plug. How would I get to that if it is a plug?