93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Attention V6ers, important CAI info

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 03:49 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Attention V6ers, important CAI info

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT buy your CAI off ebay like I used to preach. The tubes are too small, , the elbows are even smaller inside, and the filters are too short. They will cause a rich condition WOT in your car. Removing mine and running open TB was a difference in AF ratio from pegged rich, to about 15.0:1 without it (WOT). I suggest (for the first time ever) buying a name brand cold air intake, or making your own out of tubing that is as close to the same size as your TB inlet as possible. This is for early 3.8 guys, those without lids.

I've got 13's in my sight with this problem figured out.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I was thinking of using the parts for the ebay ones to build a duel inlet system. Just make the Y pipe myself. With all that extra air your car is gulping are you sure even a K&N one would be enough? Seems like a LT1 convertion might be in order for yours.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:46 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

That's a good idea with the tubing, I'll try it out. I'm still stunned and the difference. It's pegged lean at part throttle cruising, so that setup was insanely restrictive.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:23 PM
3rd Gear Member

Well that's lovely to know ha.

I'll make sure to pass it onto the Newbs

Old 10-12-2009, 11:01 AM
In the Staging Lanes

thats why i dont buy car parts off of ebay, never really had good luck with buying parts from ebay, other stuff was good just not vehicle related stuff...just me im betting

Old 10-12-2009, 08:44 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

There's some stuff that can be a good buy, just gotta be careful. It's like shopping at Fry's for computer parts, gotta know what you're doing (apparently I don't).

I've been working on a new setup to do on the cheap, I think I'm close to having something figured out.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

And for those of us that have not ported and polished out heads to the max and running 350 HP @6K the ebay CAI is fine. I am getting around 32 MPG on the highway running 70-75 MPH.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:56 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Gorn
And for those of us that have not ported and polished out heads to the max and running 6K the ebay CAI is fine. I am getting around 32 MPG on the highway running 70-75 MPH.
It also depends on the intake, sometimes the elbows that come in the cheap kits are thick in the corners, and are very small on the inside. But you're probably right, ebay should be fine for a DD. Though I had signs of this being a problem before the swap (could never get the tune right), just not as dramatic of course.

Even a simple cammed engine will want to gulp more air, so if your engine is stock on the inside, shoot for ebay. Not stock on the inside, price your options for something that will flow.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:05 PM
3rd Gear Member

Be sure to share your "Remedy"

Old 10-12-2009, 10:16 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

This is what I'm planning. It's a bit overkill, but I figure, what the heck, why not.

2' of this (smooth on the inside, so I'm told):
http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=319&catid=113

1 of these (cone filter):
http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=246&catid=113

And I'll make a plate out of some aluminum I have at home, and have a buddy weld in a 4" pipe through the middle for me. The plate will screw over the hole to the inside of the bumper cover on the front driver side of the car, will make a seal to keep the engine heat out. Sorry for the ms paint picture (also note that the filter I might order is 9" long):

Quick Reply: Attention V6ers, important CAI info