93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Is It Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 11:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Is It Worth It?

My grandparents have given me a 1999 Camaro 3.8 5spd they had bought new, and it now have 199k miles. It had sat around for a while and its a little messed up. It barely starts, and when it does, the idle is very rough bouncing from 500 all the way up to 1000 and back down, then stalls some times when i push the accelerator. So my question is, it is worth fixing? I used my scanner and pulled 3 codes:
P300
p1133
P15 15
One is a Random Misfire code, The next one is a 02 sensor code and the other is a TPS code. So would it be worth it to drop about 600 dollars in it to buy Sparkplugs, Wireset, and Ignition coils to see if it is in running order? Or is it just too old to replace and just sell it and buy a better one.
I'm open to all suggestion and questions. Thank you for your time.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:16 AM
Tech Droid

Try the cheap fixes first, like new plugs and O2 sensor. The random misfire is usually due to a lean condition and a new O2 may just fix it. The 1515 code could be an expensive fix in case a new TAC module is needed, but it also could be caused by a poor running engine or low battery voltage.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:50 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by z28pete
Try the cheap fixes first, like new plugs and O2 sensor. The random misfire is usually due to a lean condition and a new O2 may just fix it. The 1515 code could be an expensive fix in case a new TAC module is needed, but it also could be caused by a poor running engine or low battery voltage.
Thank you. I figured if I replace the plugs I might as well replace the wires too. Its all 200,000 miles old, so its probably time for a new set anyway. It's also blowing blue smoke out the tailpipes. So I'm not sure if its just running super rich, or if its oil.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:44 AM
4th Gear Member

If it's blue smoke, it's burning oil. Black smoke would indicate a rich mixture. Plugs, wires, and O2 sensors is where I'd start. If that settles it down a bit, run it for a few weeks and then pull the plugs and check the condition of them.

Assuming the rest of the car is good condition, a simple tune up is worth the fix for a free car.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
If it's blue smoke, it's burning oil. Black smoke would indicate a rich mixture. Plugs, wires, and O2 sensors is where I'd start. If that settles it down a bit, run it for a few weeks and then pull the plugs and check the condition of them.

Assuming the rest of the car is good condition, a simple tune up is worth the fix for a free car.
So I ran to Autozone and picked up a new 02 sensor, and replaced the Ignition Coils. The idling issue is gone but I am now getting a p304 Misfire code. So I'm assuming the plugs and the wires need to be replaced. I did notice when I started the car is poring smoke out of the tailpipes like a chimney. It runs for like a minute with no smoke, then when it warms up it starts to smoke. Anyway to fix that or is it just worn piston rings?

Old 07-24-2014, 09:20 PM
4th Gear Member

What color smoke? 3800 series engines are dime a dozen in most salvage yards and found in multiple GM vehicles.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:31 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If it steam not smoke it could be a blown head gasket. I am not sure I would put a lot of work into a 200K motor that has been sitting. One of the worst things you can to a high miles motor is let it sit. Seals tend to harden then crank.

Low miles much newer motors are cheap. The 3800 is a great motor and the junk yards are overflowing with them.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:54 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

need to see pictures of the car. being its a family car if its in pretty good shape i would consider picking up a low mile 3.8 and throw it in. be good for another 200k miles.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:28 AM
Tech Droid

Blowing a lot of steam after warmed up usually indicates a gasket has blown. The 304 code shows that cylinder 4 is misfiring. You may want to check the condition of the plug on that cylinder before giving up on the engine. If you are ambitious try a compression test on all cylinders and get a definite answer on the state of the engine.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
What color smoke? 3800 series engines are dime a dozen in most salvage yards and found in multiple GM vehicles.
Its blue smoke, and smells like oil. At idle is shakes quite a lot but rpms remain same. I assume the shake is caused by the misfiring.

Quick Reply: Is It Worth It?