95 z28 front struts or shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 03:05 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 95 z28 front struts or shocks?

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forums and have a quick question about my 95 z28 front suspension. I believe the front has struts and the rear has shocks, is this correct? I need to replace the front pair because the front left strut I believe is locked at full extension. I usually use RockAuto Parts Catalog as my parts store and I'm looking at a pair of kyb struts for 77$. I'd like to go cheaper but I've heard monroe shocks and struts are junk and don't last very long. So two questions I guess. What's on the front of a 95 z28, shocks or struts? Second, What do you guys recommend brand wise? Rock auto seems to have the cheapest parts I can find. I've got a guy who's going to put them on for me for 150$ labor.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:44 PM
2nd Gear member

The answer depends upon who you ask. The GM service manuals call them shocks....but the GM parts manuals call them struts. Technically, they are shocks because they have no support purpose at the top like struts do. 3rd gen F-cars have struts and 4th gen cars have shocks. However, some auto parts companies call them struts, so be ready to see both terms interchangeably. For stock replacements, I recommend only GM's AC Delco brand.

As for the replacement, I hope your guy has the right tools and some good knowledge. The job is a bit tricky and you will probably need to replace the shock mounts while you are at it. And those are not cheap either.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 01-05-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:11 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

bilstein shocks/stuts at the least expensive shock that will last and have acceptable ride. best would be koni. sam strano has 4 hd bilsteins for 4th gen camaro at 5 bills and 4 slp bilteins at $385. rear are not hard at all. front are not bad if the mounts are not rusted tight. spring compessor was the tricky part for me.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:06 PM
1st Gear Member

The guy that's doing them owns a shop so he should be okay. I just hope I order the right part. On Rock Auto almost all of the parts under Shocks say rear and all the parts under Strut say front so I'm going to assume they're struts. I hope I don't have to replace the mounts too :/ Thanks for the replys.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:08 PM
4th Gear Member

They are coil over shocks for our cars. RockAuto doesn't distinguish between the two and assumes all cars have struts. Our vehicles use a Short Long Arm (SLA) suspension making them shocks. Struts 99.99 percent of the time do not have an upper control arm and turn as the front wheel turns because it is part of the spindle. Our shocks do not turn as the wheel turns.

It's silly to think of, but it is the correct term to use. It's like flexplate and flywheel. They do the same thing essentially, but one is used for auto trans (flexplate) while the other is used for manual trans (flywheel). Engine and motor is another one. Our vehicles use engines to move them forward. But use motors to bring your window up and down.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
They are coil over shocks for our cars. RockAuto doesn't distinguish between the two and assumes all cars have struts. Our vehicles use a Short Long Arm (SLA) suspension making them shocks. Struts 99.99 percent of the time do not have an upper control arm and turn as the front wheel turns because it is part of the spindle. Our shocks do not turn as the wheel turns.

It's silly to think of, but it is the correct term to use. It's like flexplate and flywheel. They do the same thing essentially, but one is used for auto trans (flexplate) while the other is used for manual trans (flywheel). Engine and motor is another one. Our vehicles use engines to move them forward. But use motors to bring your window up and down.
Okay so ordering off of rock auto, which ones should I order for the front pair? I'm looking at the KYB's listed under struts for 77$ would those work? Also, since they don't move, are the front and rear shocks the same as in, are they interchangeable?

Old 07-22-2014, 09:54 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the front and rear are different. have a look at the shocks on sams site here Strano Performance Parts - Part Details

also some pointers on the rear here
https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...ertible-60091/

Old 07-22-2014, 10:01 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yes, it looks like they call the front shocks struts, you will want to order 2 front struts and 2 rear shocks.

Last edited by craby; 07-22-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:11 AM
4th Gear Member

KYB 341356? Going by the picture on RockAuto, that is correct for the front. Ten bucks more and you can get KYB 741034 which is adjustable.

Personally, I wouldn't buy from RockAuto. A lot of times, the parts end up being more because of the shipping charge than your local parts store and second, if they are wrong or you have a warranty issue, you have to send them back and wait till they send new ones and a lot of times, you have to pay return shipping.

If you set on getting the most for your dollar, shocks from Strano is the way to go.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I've done a few things to the car but it's still my daily driver. Would the adjustable struts be worth it and why? I don't ever see myself needing them but I don't know :P

Last edited by 95z28man; 07-23-2014 at 07:53 AM.

Quick Reply: 95 z28 front struts or shocks?