632ci engine installation in 78 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 03:28 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by clacia
What does it mean not buy an epoxied core and get a welded aluminum tank and core? The only tank I have is a plastic tank for the stock radiator. Are we referring to the same tank?
did you look at those radiators at the Summit link?
Don't buy a radiator with plastic tanks. Don't buy a radiator that has the cores epoxied to the tanks. Get welded cores and welded tanks.
I'm not sure how to make this simpler?

Old 04-18-2014, 08:43 AM
2nd Gear member

Yes I had a look at the link you gave me. I got you on the tank.

The engine builder also recommended me Ron Davis Radiators aluminum radiator picture gallery from Ron Davis aluminum radiators .

Have a look at it. Do you ever heard of his products?

Old 04-18-2014, 09:29 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Yes I had a look at the link you gave me. I got you on the tank.

The engine builder also recommended me Ron Davis Radiators aluminum radiator picture gallery from Ron Davis aluminum radiators .

Have a look at it. Do you ever heard of his products?
Never heard of him, but they look great. Wonder how his prices compare to the larger manufacturers?

Old 04-18-2014, 11:58 AM
Overdrive Member

Ron Davis is a big name in racing. They are fine. Those and C+R are what you'll find on a stock car.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:03 PM
2nd Gear member

Thanks for the replies. The Camaro radiator is $1035.00 USD plus shipping and that includes the fans and shroud. Do not know other prices, but I contacted as well C&R racing to compare prices Home « C&R Racing

What is the operating temperature of these 572 engines and what thermostat is needed?

Old 04-19-2014, 10:19 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Thanks for the replies. The Camaro radiator is $1035.00 USD plus shipping and that includes the fans and shroud. Do not know other prices, but I contacted as well C&R racing to compare prices Home « C&R Racing

What is the operating temperature of these 572 engines and what thermostat is needed?
There is no standard operating temperature for a 572, or any engine. It will depend on how you set the tune, what radiator and fans you have, whether you're out cruising the open road, or stuck in traffic. Nobody can tell you what temp your particular engine and car will run. You will need to buy a brand new Camaro if you want something that the dealer can tell you what temperature it will run. A 572 with much HP will not only test your systems, but also your ability to tune it, and keep it running right. Not for the weak, or novice car guy.
As for a thermostat; I run a 180 degree in every vehicle I've ever owned. It's a good place to start, and usually wont need to change from that.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:33 PM
2nd Gear member

I always new it that an engine has its operating temperature, if you go out of that range, you will loose efficiency. Not good to run an engine always on the "cold" side and not good run it always on the "hot" side. Any how I understood your point.

On my 85 camaro (5 litre V8 small block) I have the same radiator dimensions as I was recommended for the 572 ie:- 31 inches by 19" 2 core. If the 572 produces much higher temperature do I need a bigger radiator than I have in my 85? Or maybe the same dimensions but 3 core for more cooling?

Here in Malta the outside air temperature is very hot most of the time 30-35 deg Celsius, our streets are short and most of the time with traffic. I do not need that I am the traffic and the water starts to boil and stop the car. This is my biggest concern.

Sorry guys, do not want to sound like a fool but this is all new for me and I do not want to make a mess with it. Thanks for all your tips and advise.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:11 PM
Overdrive Member

The thermal efficiency of the aluminum is why they are the same size. If your 85 has a brass and copper unit the aluminum has wider 1" tubes that transfer heat from the water much faster. Then there is the thermostat. That is what is controlling the temp. I could put one 50x50 on your 305 and it will still run 220* if thats what the thermostat is rated for. By the same token I could put a 28x19 on the 572 and have it run 180* all day. The thermostat is calling the shots. I have personally seen a friend run a tiny 26x19 on his 572 and never have an issue.

The guy who builds these engines tells you what size and brand to buy. Second guess him I would not. Write the check, wait for parts. If it over heats, get more fans or better pump. You wont get a bigger radiator in there.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:46 AM
2nd Gear member

Thanks for all the explanations. I am getting into it. I found the below link and found it usefull

Old 04-20-2014, 09:45 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Air flow will really make a big difference. Engines that don't overheat at cruise speeds, but overheat at idle usually don't have enough air flow. So a larger fan setup is required if a car wont stay cool at idle. If you're buying a radiator/fan complete assembly, then the maker should be able to tell you if it's large enough.
A 3 row radiator isn't an option in an aluminum radiator that I know of? Aluminum radiators have either two 1" or two 1.25" rows, so if you wanted more surface area you would go to a 1.25" row and more core area. Again, the supplier should be able to tell you if the radiator you've chosen is large enough, and if the fans have enough air fow cfm to cool the engine at idle.

Quick Reply: 632ci engine installation in 78 camaro