2011 camaro oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 06:29 AM
Banned

I have 3 F bodies. I go 3k without burning a drop of oil in any of them..2 LS1s and an LT1. None of my 4th generation F bodies burn an ounce of oil. Even when romping on them, which I do often. I use Mobil1 oil and filter. Never have any issues and the insides of all my engines are super clean.

Last edited by mezzyshredder; 01-22-2012 at 06:30 AM. Reason: trying to ad a pic
Old 02-09-2012, 04:11 PM
Unhappy oil consumption ?

Originally Posted by mezzyshredder
I have 3 F bodies. I go 3k without burning a drop of oil in any of them..2 LS1s and an LT1. None of my 4th generation F bodies burn an ounce of oil. Even when romping on them, which I do often. I use Mobil1 oil and filter. Never have any issues and the insides of all my engines are super clean.
Well gents, I'm new here, but I'm a longtime Corvette owner. When the 'New' 1997 C5's came out there was some that burn oil and for the most part that went away with time, but the LS1 had a long run and some burnt oil forever. My 2003 LS1 was new and I changed the oil every 7000 miles. with Mobil-1 synthetic 5W/30 and from new it Never burnt a drop of oil

On the other hand I have a lot of friends who have LS1&2 &3 and some burn oil and some don't. That's been a GM issue that has never been really investigated by GM. At least in my opinion. I think when you buy a new $30.000 car you should be able to expect a no burn oil situation after the proper brake-in period. I know the factory says 1 quart per every 1000 miles, but if that is the best you can do in 2012 with all of the sophisticated engineering and high-Tech manufacturing procedures, then the GM company is not really up for competition from many of the Japanese & domestic manufacturers. I've owned 14 GM vehicles over the years and not a single one ever burnt a drop of oil. From mile 1 to mile 200.000. They can't tell me that 1 qt. in every 1000 miles is acceptable! I even have a CD here that shows the entire process to building the New 2010 Camaro. I just don't accept that.

Last edited by Killain; 02-09-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:26 PM
2nd Gear member

If I bought a brand new car and it went through a quart of oil every thousand miles I would be furious.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by camaropaul
Pete,
I made sure I broke it in according to the owners manual. no high revs, etc. I drive about 100 miles a day. Some slow traffic but mostly between 45 - 70. I turn it loose once in awhile but not often. The dealer tells me it's within normal ranges for Chev.
These motors come pre-filled with M1 full synthetic. It is very difficult with the superior protection this oil provides for the rings to seat properly in the time frame needed before the cylinder bores glaze to hard to ever get them seated. If you follow the owner manual break-in prodedure odds are you will never get the rings seated and the oil consumption will be there forever.

There are 2 choices:

1. With the car brand new drain the sun and add fill with a good conventional like Shell Rottela or similar....then drive moderately hard for 500 miles, drain the conventional and fill w/full syn.

2. if you have already exceeded a few hundred miles then you can try running the motor hard for several hundred miles in hopes you can still seat the rings.

I tear down these motors with 100-200 plus k miles and you can still see the original hone crosshatch. Following the manufacturer procedure may reduce warranty claims for failure for the dealer, but your motor will consume oil and not deliver its full power potential.

The other consumption causes are PCV related with the valley cover evac baffel system faulty from the start allowing oil to enter where it should be sealed and this is pulled directly into the intake manifold. (on LS3 engines). The quick fix is to swith to the rear of the drivers side valve cover like the L99 does and cap the valley nipple. Evacuating from the center of the crankcase is poor anyway as it leaves the entire drivers side valve train stagnant with the harmfull combustion byproducts that never get flushed if pulled from the valley.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:07 PM
2nd Gear member

a lot of gm cars burn a lot of oil brand new nowadays. Like the DOD 5.3's. And the dealer will tell you "thats not excessive oil use". I cant believe the stories i have heard about this issue in the last 2 years.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:00 AM
Exclamation Oil usage ?

Originally Posted by Gorn
When I used to do the GM warranty thing they where pretty strict about 1qt/1000 and no other symptoms is not a problem. Our area rep was a real hard nose on this. When I ask him why he said a few years back they where tearing into customers cars if the customer complained enough. In the end after spent 1000's on warranty repairs the cars where still using the oil.

Funny thing is my friend bought a brand new BMW/Cooper mini and since the first 1000 miles he has used 1qt. BMW has the same policy as GM. He now has 30K on it and it still burns 1qt/1000
The dealership is going to be your toughest sell, they are the ones who are/ or are not going to do any /if any warranty work. They don't want to open an engine just to reassemble it only to find out GM isn't going to pay for any work they don't deem necessary. Washington has a wet temperate weather, never too cold or hot and the engine and rings should of settled in by 10,000 miles. Like gorn, I'd take my case to GM/ Chevrolet customer service. I bought an off lease Pontiac Grand Prix and the dealership was giving me a Load of BS over a miss in the engine. I finally took it to a friends Corvette shop, who does Cararo/Corvette work and restorations and performance mods. www.countycorvette.com and they had one of their techs spend an hour on it and he found the problem, the car is a supercharged model and Needs to be run on 91 octane, but the folks who leased it ran regular for the first 3.5 years, all the pinging caused two of the spark plugs to crack the porcelain portion on two plugs, you needed a magnifying glass to see it, but there were two clear black tracks from the tip to the Gounod shoulder of the plug. The dealership didn't want to touch it, so I contacted GM and they paid the bill without any delay. They just wanted a shop, or dealership to take responsibility for the plugs replacement. There IS good dealerships out there, I have my Corvette inspected every year by a dealership family owned and in business since 1928. They stand behind any unsatisfaction you might have.

The 1 quart of oil within a 1000 miles is a pretty much industry wide acceptable amount. But, to you and me, and I'm sure all of us, that is BS. But I wouldn't put anything other than exactly what the owners manual states and take your case to General Motors Customer Service. GM IS making a real striving effort to change what the GM customer has endured for the last twenty years worth of crap from dishonest Stealerships. Don't get mad, just be firm and note that one complaint told to ten perspective customer's will surely have a bad result for General Motors as opposed to their current image reshaping. Good luck.

Last edited by Killain; 07-25-2012 at 06:25 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:22 AM
2nd Gear member

Not that its the same but my 2007 Avalanche burns 1L every 5000kms, has since the day it pulled off the lot. No blue smoke either.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:44 PM
2nd Gear member

I have 17 year old Briggs & Scrap-iron 5.5hp motor on my lawnmower that hasn't lost any oil in a year and a half. Just saying...

Old 10-02-2012, 01:48 PM

yes my 2002 avalanche has oil vanish as well and no blue smoke

Old 03-14-2014, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Beauespirit
1qt per 1000 miles seems to be a lot of oil consumption for a new modern engine.
. I have Camaro LT2 which consumed 4 quarts of oil In 6k miles!! My car would not start one day and i saw the oil pressure guage was way low, i took it rite to the dealer. They said it was my fault for whatever reason unless iI cud proof I changed the oil within specs. I supplied a receipt and waiting on their response but they said that was normal engine oil consumption!! R u kidding!? They also said oil evaporates!! Wow! Watch that oil stick is all I gotta say because there is obviously a problem with some of these engines. Don't let the dealer blame it on u, keep your receipts and change the oil on a regular basis, and check it....dealer said he checks his oil every time he puts gas in his car!! Ya right!

Quick Reply: 2011 camaro oil consumption